Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Great, cheap, custom ukulele?!?!

Default Great, cheap, custom ukulele?!?!

I have been playing uke for a while now and i have a luna high tide tenor uku. i'm looking for that perfect ukulele with great flamed koa, slotted headstock, a pickup... ya know, the works.

what are some ukulele makers on the big island who do custom stuff. i've heard great things about moore bettah and i configured a uke on his website for about 2700. now, i know perfection costs but is there anyone else who does custom ukes on the big island?

Check out the 808 Builder's List . . . You FBI?
    Last edited by Kanaka916; 01-07-2011 at 08:20 AM.

Nana ka maka; ho`olohe ka pepeiao;
    pa`a ka waha.

Observe with the eyes; listen with the ears; shut the mouth.
    Thus one learns.

Two out of the three words belong together: Great and custom.

If you are so lucky as to receive a Moore Bettah, it will be worth every penny.

I have learned one thing lately -- great and cheap do not go together. Usually you get what you pay for.

Good luck with your search, though. Customs are fabulous!

I have a Moore Bettah and find that I don't play my other ukuleles at all. I'm keeping my flea in the event I want to take an ukulele with me when I fly somewhere. If I drive, the MB comes along. There is such a difference between the Moore Bettah and all the rest.

Custom and cheap just don't go together. You may be better off getting the slotted headstock uke and add the perfect pick up. That's almost custom.

Good luck in your search though.
    Purple Makala Dolphin : Mahalo Camp Uke : Mainland Red Cedar Pineapple Porthos : Lanikai O8-E Honey : Mainland Red Cedar Soprano Panties : Ohana Sopranino Short Round : Islander Soprano : Mainland Mahogany Tenor Tank Jr : Kala KM-FMB : Makai PK-55 Inspiration : Vintage Blackstone Baritone : Bluegrass Cedar top Tenor : Zebrawood Fishuku

"great, cheap, custom" sounds like the sort of thing that is usually followed by "choose any two"

Jerry Hoffmann at Boat Paddle builds great, custom, not too expensive ukes.
    Last edited by Doc_J; 01-07-2011 at 09:36 AM.
    -Hodge
    Humble strummer of fine ukes.

What is your definition of "cheap?"
    Uke-ing since November 2010

thanks for the kanaka916!

i know "cheap" isn't the best word, i know you always get what you pay for, i'm just thinking more inexpensive.

1500-2500 is what i want to stay around

Quote Originally Posted by Ukujes View Post
    thanks for the kanaka916!

i know "cheap" isn't the best word, i know you always get what you pay for, i'm just thinking more inexpensive.

1500-2500 is what i want to stay around
    Along with Moore Bettah and Boat Paddle, you should check out MP and Mya Moe. Mya Moe will be a bit more expensive than the Boat Paddle and MP but they have beautiful wood sets that should definitely fit your need. I have one that just finished and should arrive sometime next week. I also absolutely love my Boat Paddle and MP and can't speak highly enough about them.

Check out Bradford Donaldson, a UU member and excellent luthier. He has very reasonable prices. He has had quite a positive reaction to his ergonomically shaped "Amy" ukulele, but he can do anything you want.

–Lori

Thread Information