Packin' a Uke

Ian Boys

Reaction score
As of this Saturday, I will be gone for a two week, 80 mile trek in the mountains (the rockies)... with my uke (well... one of my ukes). It'll be worth the gear that I sacrificed to take on the weight of the uke and its case... after all, who needs more than one pair of pants for two weeks?

Anyhow... I'll be back in two weeks, hopefully with pics/vids of my uke in the mountains.

Until then, farewell!

dude, dont take the case! just strap it to the outside of your pack. It'll be fine. The case probably weighs 10 times as much as the uke!

Sounds fun! Have a great time!

And make sure you take a tuner! The temperature changes in the mountains will wreak havoc on your tuning!!!

dude, dont take the case! just strap it to the outside of your pack. It'll be fine. The case probably weighs 10 times as much as the uke!

What if it rains? I went camping a week or so ago, and I was so glad I had my case, it was a downpour, and a completely random one!

About the no case idea...

I've considered that, but have decided that the fact that it is monsoon season (chance of multiple days of constant downpour) has steered me towards lugging the extra weight.

I've considered that, but have decided that the fact that it is monsoon season (chance of multiple days of constant downpour) has steered me towards lugging the extra weight.

What if you brought a trash bag for that occasion?

I think we already determined on another thread that if your uke gets wet at all, buy a new one! Matter solved!

Yeah... I've considered bringing a trash bag, though I'm still pretty sure that I"m going to go with the case, just because of how convenient it is.

And it is a relatively cheap uke... it only cost me about 30 dollars, so I guess it wouldn't matter all too much if it got messed up... and there is that water rule, as ron pointed out...

Ever consider a padded gig bag instead of a case? My Flukes came with really nice, light gig bags that should fit a standard uke as well. Not as strong or protective as a hardshell case, but a lot less work to carry (they have a shoulder strap).

My Ponos came in standard hardshell cases - heavy, but strong. My Kala came in a somewhat bigger foam case, but it's half the weight of the Pono cases.

Yeah... one of these days I'll get a padded gig bag... just haven't gotten around to it, yet. Thankfully, the case I'm using is one of the light ones that MGM sells... styrofoam is a wonderful thing.

The sad part is that, since i'm using it with my cheap soprano, the case is worth more than the uke it's protecting...

I'm flying to a conference in Ottawa next month and am considering packing a uke with me. Nothing like ending a long say's sitzkreig by strumming a few tunes back in the hotel room. So I have to consider whether I want to take a Fluke in a gig bag or one of my woodies in a hardshell case.

Hmmm. If the uke has to go in the cargo hold - the hardshell case is the choice. But what about climate control down there?

And he's back!

Well... he's been back since last Friday.... but hasn't been up to hitting the internet since (amazingly).

Anyhow.... I'll post pics later (assuming I become motivated to do so) , but I do have one video, in the meantime: Ukein' in the Rain

So... ukulele-related highlights of the trip:

None of the 11 people whom I was stuck with for two weeks got angry about my uke playing. In fact, I got begged to bring it out on a couple of occasions. I take that as a good sign about my playing/singing.

I was inspired to begin writing three separate songs.... neither of which are near completed yet, though I do plan on completing them in the near future.

I, sadly, had my first day since I took up the instrument that I did not play it. The fateful day of July 17th, 2008. Shame on me. (I was too busy trying not to die in a lightning storm to play the uke.... honest)

I met a fellow ukulele player from Israel. Well... more like guitarist who happens to own a ukulele that he goofs around with on occasion.... but I count that.

My ukulele survived, but the same can't exactly be said for the case. I don't think it was meant to be clipped to the outside of a backpack by its shoulder strap loops....

Edit: Here are some pics.... http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=32757&l=51d82&id=755698996

Last edited:
Dude you totally went to Philmont! Did you go to baldy? if so isnt it amazing? and if you didnt, ITS AMAZING!!11!!!

are you part of a venture crew, Scout Troop... damn im freaking out over nothing damn me and my scouting geekyness...

Top Bottom