Fingerboard Radius?

Jaicen

Reaction score
I was just wondering how many makers use a fingerboard radius?
Is there any particular reason, besides the small width, for using a flat fingerboard?

I do it on request. Most custom builds of late seem to be asking for it.

I don't see much point in putting a radius on a soprano fret board, but on concerts and certainly on tenors you will notice it compared to a flat board. I find that using a 12" radius optimum on these small instruments. 16" ends up just barely noticeable.

It will aid and feel a bit more comfortable for most people when they bar the fret board. It adds a few extra steps to the building process. Not a big deal if you are doing it for yourself, but expect to pay a bit extra if you are asking someone else to do it for you.

I'm trying radiused fretboards for the first time right now on a tenor I'm working on. Shaping the nut and bridge is going to be a little trickier but they definitely feel like they will be more comfortable to play. I went with a very shallow 16" radius. It seems quite noticeable to me…more noticeable than I had expected.

I'm trying radiused fretboards for the first time right now on a tenor I'm working on. Shaping the nut and bridge is going to be a little trickier but they definitely feel like they will be more comfortable to play. I went with a very shallow 16" radius. It seems quite noticeable to me…more noticeable than I had expected.

Did you buy the shaping block.. or did you make your own?

The string tension on a mandolin is much greater than on a ukulele. But even on a mandolin it seems to me to be a little overkill - unless you plan to play it with a bow.

I understand that "Gibson Mandolins" are all made with flat fretboards.

The Sam Bush, F5G, Jam Master A & F Styles, F5G Custom, and I believe at least another 2 or 3 are built with radiused fretboards.

I like them. I play both, and you notice the difference. Biggest issue I've found is that after playing a radiused fretboard on a Uke or Mandolin for a length of time I don't want to play the flat fretboards.

To stir the pot even more, a lot of high end instruments sport a compound radius. I recently did an OM with 12" at the nut and 16" at the 12th fret. I personally don't notice any difference between flat and radiused but if the guy writing the check wants a radius then that's what he gets.

Top Bottom