What are some rock bands where bass players sing?

Wallacce

Reaction score
I have a bet going. In our band the lead singer is also the bass player and he's convinced that this is an oddity. Now we got 20 bucks going that I can't think of 10 bands with singing bass players. Here's what I got so far.

The Beatles
Rush
Kiss
Motorhead

A little help?

X - John Doe
Beach Boys - Brian Wilson
'Til Tuesday - Aimee Mann (although I think for her solo stuff she plays guitar mostly)
Concrete Blonde - Johnette Napolitano

You're almost there!

Last edited:
Jack Bruce sang as well as play bass in Cream (Clapton also sang)

Oh and - I think Entwistle sang backup with the Who, if that counts.

Paul McSomething, he was in this band from Liverpool..

Kim Gordon-Sonic Youth (she splits singing duties with her husband)
Les Claypool-Primus

Mine. Haha. I play bass and sing in my band, Holbrook Road. It's not that hard once you get your chops up.

Oh and - I think Entwistle sang backup with the Who, if that counts.

Entwistle sang lead on a few songs with The Who ("Heaven and Hell", "Boris the Spider", "My Wife", etc), and fronted his own band on occasion.

Well, as a bassist who sings some back-up, I know it is difficult to sing and play bass... but here's a few more: Roger Waters in Pink Floyd (although he wasn't the only singer); Rick Danko in The Band (again, not the only singer); Chris Squire sang really odd back-up parts in Yes, which had NO obvious relation to the main vocals and were probably more difficult than just singing a "normal" song and playing a "normal" bass part; Greg Lake in ELP; Ronnie Lane in The Faces (sang lead on some songs, but when you're in a band with Rod Stewart you tend to be over-looked when you sing!); Laura Love (even though most likely none of you have heard of her); Me'Shell Ndegeocello; Benjamin Orr in The Cars (shared lead vocals with Ric Ocasek).
Those are the ones I can think of that haven't already been mentioned. Oh! And Steve Harris in Iron Maiden sings pretty much every single song when they play live, but he doesn't have a mic! But he writes most of the songs, so he is singing his heart out silently as he plays.

Oh and Larry Graham in Graham Central Station (since we're counting funk)... and John Cowan in New Grass Revival.

Laura Love (even though most likely none of you have heard of her)

I have :) I've actually seen her play a couple times. But I didn't think for the purpose of the "rock bands where bass players sing" question she'd count since she's pretty unclassifiable. Overthinking, I am...

This may not be rock but Slayer's bassist Tom Araya is the lead vocalist. Kip Winger sings for Winger.

I have :) I've actually seen her play a couple times. But I didn't think for the purpose of the "rock bands where bass players sing" question she'd count since she's pretty unclassifiable. Overthinking, I am...

She's really a great player, and yeah.. unclassifiable for sure! I've met her a couple of times and she's very cool and friendly.

Top Bottom