Mixing strings ?

Allan66

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I was hoping someone could lend me some advice. I was re-stringing my Pono Tenor today and just when i thought it had all gone swimmingly my top string popped. The strings i just put on were aquila. I have some back up strings from a pack i had a while back these ones are Ko'alau strings. I actually have a high G and low G string spare but was wondering if its not really recommended to mix different kind of strings or if it doesnt really matter ?

Thanks,

Allan

thanks alot, i just went with the high G one and it seems to sound pretty nice

It's not uncommon for real "tone freaks" to mix and match strings to get exactly the sound and/or intonation they're looking for.

John

Mixed String Sets

We are tone freaks! This is exactly what we do in all our sets. Not only can it be done, when it is done right, it can give more even tone and tension.

We'll mix completely different materials in some sets. But even with the same basic material, flourocarbon, for example, there are varying densities and therefore different tension / sound among the various formulations.

Here's a discussion on the principles & benefits:

http://www.southcoastukes.com/stringuide_files/selection.htm

Last edited:
Heh, I just came across this old thread in a search. The 'A' string snapped from my CarbonBlack set, so I replaced it with a Martin Fluorocarbon, until a new set arrives in the mail, and it sounds fantastic. Possibly because it's a brand new string, or possibly just my imagination.

I mix strings to a point. Sometimes a C or A string. For linear tuning, a number of people will swap out the low G string. But in reality, most people probably find a set that is a good overall compromise and just use the packaged set.

In theory there are ideal individual strings that will maximize the tone for each string, but getting the right overall tension on the soundboard and playability between strings makes it a daunting task for possibly just slight improvements. And it is not economically feasible to buy multiple sets for one string here or there.

I primarily use Oasis Warm and Bright sets and 2 gauges of Seaguar Premier fishing leader. This seems to give me enough flexibility to tweak the tone without having a warehouse of string sets. On a couple of ukuleles I use Worth (soprano) and on one Aquila Nylgut. On the Nylgut, I using a concert set on a baritone, but not swapping individual strings.

The quest for perfect strings can be a lifetime of successes and failures especially if it becomes obsessive. Sooner or later good enough is good enough.

John

Last edited:
I don't think it is worth the hassle in terms of pay-off. However, Southcoast Ukulele & Guitar Company purportedly puts together mixed sets for optimal playability. I cannot really vouch for that claim too much because I only use them to string up my baritone. The baritone sounds good, but I don't know if it wouldn't be a fallacy to assume that all their mixed sets are great just because my baritone is great.

I go for complete sets but I have replaced G strings (both ways), though mostly they've all been fluorocarbon anyway.

If I had a string pop and had a spare to hand, I would put it on anyway even if of a different material from the rest if only just to get playing again. If the result sounded good, I'd leave it until the rest needed replacing then get a complete new set.

Top Bottom