Thread: Lanikai LU-21CE BK--Does it sound good acoustically?

Default Lanikai LU-21CE BK--Does it sound good acoustically?

Hello folks--I previously owned a Kala TE, the black-painted model that is acoustic/electric, and while it sounded good amplified I thought the soundboard was too thick and it didn't sound so good acoustically (I realize it is a laminate and they can vary quite a bit).

I am thinking of buying the Lanikai version, concert sized, but I won't bother if it is as uninspiring acoustically as I found the Kala to be (no offense to those who love theirs!). Does anyone have any experience with the Lanikai model, especially as it compares to the Kala? (I did a search and didn't find quite the answer to this).

Any thoughts from educated ukers will be appreciated!
    Mainland Mahogany Concert, Soprano Flea, Concert Surf Fluke, Eleuke Concert Jazz Cutaway, Polkalele

I would think the sound would be comprable to the Kala. I have one in stock and it sounds a lot like the LU-21s. Not bad, good for a laminate. I like the LU series for a starter uke. But I think you are going to get the same sound as the Kala!

www.mimsukes.com... facebook... twitter... Youtube: For Fun... Youtube: Business...
    You, my darling, are batpoo insane. -- Yewie You're an awesome maniac! -Mark Stay weird, Mim. -RichM
    ...perhaps your quality expectation looks different from me. -PK

Thanks for the input Mim. I'm a little spoiled by the resonance of my Mainland and the boom of my Fluke, just have a thing for the old school black guitar look!

By the way, I see that I am across the state from you outside of Wilmington. If you ever get over this way you should check out the North Carolina Ukulele Academy (alohau.com)--they always have dozens of ukes in stock and a regular schedule of classes and enthusiasm. Sounds a bit like what you are growing over your way!
    Mainland Mahogany Concert, Soprano Flea, Concert Surf Fluke, Eleuke Concert Jazz Cutaway, Polkalele

Quote Originally Posted by david e View Post
    Thanks for the input Mim. I'm a little spoiled by the resonance of my Mainland and the boom of my Fluke, just have a thing for the old school black guitar look!

By the way, I see that I am across the state from you outside of Wilmington. If you ever get over this way you should check out the North Carolina Ukulele Academy (alohau.com)--they always have dozens of ukes in stock and a regular schedule of classes and enthusiasm. Sounds a bit like what you are growing over your way!
    I have to agree with you on the TE. I had a Kala KA-TG laminate (pretty much the same thing without the black paint), and while it was a nice instrument, it just left me wanting acoustically (it had no electronics). Eventually I traded it off and am much happier with my solid top tenor. You might be interested in this little sound sample I once posted of the Ohana solid soprano, the Flea, and that Kala KA-TG. I knew it was relatively quiet, but I was suprised at the sound sample. I wish I still had it to compare to my solid top on a recording. The order of playing is Ohana, Flea, Kala laminate:

http://www.box.net/shared/lhiagexeke

Sorry about the singing.
    Last edited by SweetWaterBlue; 01-20-2011 at 05:04 PM.

Yeah I will check them out if I am ever in the area. I wonder how many ukes they stock? I have 100+ in store and 200+ if I count my at-home stock. I am up to my eyeballs in ukes

www.mimsukes.com... facebook... twitter... Youtube: For Fun... Youtube: Business...
    You, my darling, are batpoo insane. -- Yewie You're an awesome maniac! -Mark Stay weird, Mim. -RichM

Thanks for the sound sample, I think it speaks for itself. I have nothing against laminates, for the right price point and uses they can be just right (and I've heard MGM's blind test). I know that some are just thicker/stiffer/less resonant than others.

Thanks for the reply!

That's a lot of ukes Mim! Alohau.com shows about 40+ models, don't know how many there are multiples of (eg Makala Dolphins in several colors). I know that many forum members can hardly get their hands on any ukes to try before buying--it's great having such a resource locally. I'm sure local ukers aware of your shop feel the same way.

That's a lot of ukes Mim! Alohau.com shows about 40+ models, don't know how many there are multiples of (eg Makala Dolphins in several colors). I know that many forum members can hardly get their hands on any ukes to try before buying--it's great having such a resource locally. I'm sure local ukers aware of your shop feel the same way.
    Most are NOT duplicates. Some are right now because I am waiting for my new ukes to come in from California. Seriously, my shop is hialrious. Quirky!!! Over 80 flavors of shaved ice. And I just counted... 96 ukes on my wall. That is not counting the 30+ in boxes and cases right now. I want to boast over 100, so I think I will hang some more of my Indianas (cheap kids ukes) on the wall just to reach that number. But next week only a few should be duplicates. I am wondering what I have the largest uke selection in. In other words, "Mim's Ukes... largest uke selection in the Carolinas, South East... something." Heck, I am just proud enough to be the largest uke selection in Charlotte, but it is nice to have a tag line!

Going to clean up my work bench, Hang 5 more ukes up, and take pictures for my site (my big thing I am working on today). I will post the evolution of Aloha Snow/ Mim's Ukes when I am done. Last year about this time I had a post about starting to have 3 ukes for customers to play. Wow... what a year it has been!

Thread Information