1959 Martin tiple T-15

I am actually considering going for treatment for my UAS. The solution is to go cold turkey, sell all but one or two (therapy). If I do that I'm going to drive the herd up to Elderly.

No, one guy was ready to buy, made an offer and then got cold feet. I haven't had much luck selling high end instruments lately. I think I'll keep it, great player! (I had a lead on a William King but needed to sell a few instruments to swing it)

So what was your final price? I'm only asking because I've got this tiple itch. You see, the thought of a multi steel stringed instrument built on a tenor uke body sounds really enticing. I've been looking at 12-string Colombian tiples lately, but their bodies are more the size of a baritone uke. Still, the multi string thing has got me going enough that I might just pull the trigger on something priced reasonable enough for my budget.

$900.00 + shipping. Check Elderly for comparable ones. A lot more.

HS!!! What a nice instrument! Amazing sound.

Rick, you packed that Tiple with nothing less than TLC!!!

What a beech wood-you-think-it shouldn't-be-so-difficult-hard-to-tune slotted-head instrument. Sounds so awesome when tuned to pitch, but so hard to get there. I'm thinking of dropping it down a whole step to a uke tuning.

Worth the money? Totally! Killer sound, and Martin don't make them anymore.

How to play? Best with a strong flat pick. Dig in for the chime.

--Dave E.

My guitar prodigy nephew in law played it last spring, his comment was that it sounded best when he fretted softly. He is right, don't put a lot of pressure when you fret. I tuned it GCEA, stays in tune pretty well, the E strings go out quicker than the others. I also decided it sounded best if I tuned the wound strings a little flat, intonation was better. Have fun, just don't go on and on too long, I really like tiples!

BTW: this is the second high dollar vintage instrument I've sold recently, both went to folks who really appreciated the quality of the instrument. I mention this because I've had all sorts of comments from people wanting to get a custom or classic for nothing or very nervous about committing to buy, they want 50 pictures and sworn documentation from Music Guy Mike that it's worth what I'm asking. How do you communicate to people that you know your stuff and won't sell junk? Must be a lot of scammers out there.

Last edited:
Top Bottom