Jisheng Electric Tenor

Kukoolele

Reaction score
Mmmmmmmmmm!
I'm new here, but really want to be active and love you all often.
Here are photos to start. I'll edit my extensive review and have it for you shortly.
I'm looking forward to your feedback.

Attachments

• Jisheng Tenor 007.jpg
    Jisheng Tenor 007.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 91
  • Jisheng Tenor 017.jpg
    Jisheng Tenor 017.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 79
  • Jisheng Tenor 001.jpg
    Jisheng Tenor 001.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 152
  • Jisheng Tenor 011.jpg
    Jisheng Tenor 011.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 73
  • Jisheng Tenor 014.jpg
    Jisheng Tenor 014.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 73
Sweet uke.. Wicked design. Congrats on a truly unique piece. :D

Review

Jisheng Silent Electric Tenor Ukulele
Features – 9
• New product, Made 2010 in China
• 20 frets
• Construction – No resonant projecting sound chamber, but instrument does resonate when played. Solid & light. Could be called “neck-through” with composite laminated carbon-fiber & light wood. Plastic or carbon-fiber frame. Fretboard appears rosewood, silver frets, ivory-style side position markers, abalone fretboard position markers. The finish is gloss with faux woodgrain on the frame.
Body size – Tenor. Frame is shaped like an electric guitar with upper and lower horn. Easy access to all frets.
Bridge – 2-piece wood, tie-on. Wood saddle. Wood nut. 2 pearloid dots on bridge. Tuners – no-name sealed chrome.
Neck – 34.5mm at nut, 40mm at 12th fret, 31.5dm total length. Standard size fret wire.
• Included padded gig-bag, 12v battery, 5’ instrument cable, and ear-bud headphones.

Sound – 9.5
• Fits my style – I play all styles
• Used with amp sounds great. Sounds like an electric guitar when too many effects are applied. Plans include some recording with this instrument.
• Has reasonable quality electronics providing clean sound through headphones and instrument jack. The volume and tone controls worked well with ample range.
• Pickup is under bridge. Can hear some hand contact when palm-muting.
• I love the headphone feature. I could play for myself all day.

Action/fit/finish – 8
• Factory set-up within reason. Came with black nylon strings. Holds tuning. No buzz. Intonation slightly off at 12th fret – plans include bone or horn nut and saddle replacement and proper set-up.
• Finish – a couple of places on the sides of the neck have some small areas of oxidation. There are a couple of areas where a little paint was slopped. This element would not prevent my purchase. The fret ends have a factory finish that I plan to improve – not sharp, but not hand-finished.

Reliability/durability – 10
• Solid & Sturdy – I may get a hard-case for it.
• Hardware is generic but seems quality.
• Finish is thick gloss and looks like it will last al long time.
• I love this. It may not end up being my favorite but I am interested in getting the other sizes of this line as well as some of the other instruments they make in this style.
• I would never gig without a back-up.

Customer service – NA
• Website is www.minjisheng.com
• Purchased on Ebay through importer out of Texas.

Overall rating – 9.5
• Relative to my experience I am quite pleased with this instrument. I am only 3 months into my UAS. I have been playing guitar for 20 years, drums for over 30.
• I have 2 other ukes so far, guitars, basses, keys, pa, drums, violin… sound familiar?
• No wishes to have bought something else before.
• I would be upset if I had to go without it. I am planning on buying another either concert or soprano size.
• I love that it is electric, silent, and somewhat unique to my experience.
• No hates.
• Favorite feature is the headphone monitoring. The looks are a close second. I really love the composite neck.
• I compared this with Risa products and Eleuke, and this was something I hadn’t seen so I had to have it.
• I wish it had a built-in FM transmitter. Bluetooth?

Purchased Via Ebay for $150.00 US total.

Thanks for reading. Video to follow.

Attachments

• Jisheng Tenor 009.jpg
    Jisheng Tenor 009.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 26
  • Jisheng Tenor 003.jpg
    Jisheng Tenor 003.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 21
  • Jisheng Tenor 004.jpg
    Jisheng Tenor 004.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 20
  • Jisheng Tenor 005.jpg
    Jisheng Tenor 005.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 22
  • Jisheng Tenor 008.jpg
    Jisheng Tenor 008.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Hmm.. not too sure about these.
These do tend to pop up on eBay, and the quality has been said to be questionable.

I compared this with Risa products and Eleuke, and this was something I hadn’t seen so I had to have it.
In what ways have you compared them to Risa and Eleuke products?
Direct comparison through amplifiers in person?

Thanks for reading!
My comparison was not a comprehensive differential analysis, but a thought of "Hmmmm, I haven't seen anyone with this one - I think I'll try it."

I'll have some video and audio soon. I'll need to wash my hair first.

I did made our EleUkes in that Jisheng factory and they simply copied the center line stripe.
The reason why I stopped doing business was their terrible quality.

Yeah I did business with Jisheng but, stopped after two and half yrs. There was no hope of improvement
in quality and the most shocking thing is they registered C.F. Martin brand in China.
They are making guitar and selling them with C.F.Martin brand in China domestic market.

Last edited:
Ah I thought there was something dodgey about them - I heard that somewhere before too.
I heard that they have piezo pickup issues where some strings sound louder than others.

For around the same price, it's hard to beat an Eleuke for reliability and quality. Even if something was wrong, they have really good customer service.
Eleukes are electrifyingly good. I really hope they keep their instruments at the prices they are.

And Risa... they're expensive for a reason :)

Last edited:
I have one and totally loved it... But after leaving it plugged in for a week (with amp powered off) the electronics stopped working. I knew that the battery would drain so first thing I did was put in a brand new one, but no luck.

It cost me about $100 shipped to my door so now not sure what to do with it. Probably cheaper to replace than to repair.

:)Yeah I think I may have a challenge deciding on which Eleuke to get first. Your responses are very helpful, thank you!

I have to retract that I would buy more of these Jisheng models for sure - now it's just a maybe.

Thanks for the mention on keeping the instrument jack unplugged. I noticed that the unit is always on when the headphones are plugged in. I wonder if the other jack works that way.

I worked with the video today but I think I need to refine it just a bit - too rough.

Thanks!
Keith

After a few weeks of catching my fingers on the fret ends, I have ordered the mandatory fret end dressing file. I am really still quite taken with this instrument. I think I will love them all equally and will have some jealousy issues between them at times. What will this one think when I get another solid-body? :)

Their electronics has problem.

Their electronics didn't have battery misuse protection.
If you put battery wrong way circuit immediately gone dead.

I have one and totally loved it... But after leaving it plugged in for a week (with amp powered off) the electronics stopped working. I knew that the battery would drain so first thing I did was put in a brand new one, but no luck.

It cost me about $100 shipped to my door so now not sure what to do with it. Probably cheaper to replace than to repair.

necro-post

Top Bottom