Favorite movie scores?

NatalieS

Reaction score
I've always been a fan of movie scores, and like to listen to them when I'm studying or relaxing. Here are some of my favorites. I'd love to hear what your favorites are, too!

- Cold Mountain
- I Capture the Castle
- Last of the Mohicans
- March of the Penguins
- Nell
- Out of Africa
- Possession
- Pride and Prejudice
- A Room With a View
- Somewhere in Time
- The Straight Story
- Whale Rider

The one I find myself coming back to over and over is the soundtrack from Amélie. I think I might have liked the music even more than I liked the film (and I liked the film a lot!).

Dang I forgot to add Amelie! It's one of my favorites too. :)

I'l second Amelie and Pride and Prejudice.

And I'll add The Hours, and just about anything from Ennio Morricone.

JJ

Last of the Mohicans. Props to NatalieS for already mentioning it. :)

Apollo 13 is pretty good, too, but LotM is my go-to score.

Aloha Natalie,
I like last of the Mohicans too...it was soo cool!! Like your new Avater too...with your pineapple Kamaka....Happy Strummings Girl! MM Stan

after "up" came out, i listened to that michael giacchino score for a long, long time. great stuff.

also love the score from "les choristes." great french film!

any john williams will do: raiders, star wars, superman, et, saving pvt. ryan, etc., etc.

hans zimmer (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hans_Zimmer), danny elfman (nightmare before Christmas & lots more--http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danny_Elfman).

also really love the lord of the rings trilogy soundtrack by howard shore. bought the cd's off ebay not too long ago.

Just remembered another one... the new Tron movie has a pretty brilliant soundtrack.

And if you want to include soundtracks that are song collections more than outright "scores", then I'll add:

Once
Empire Records
Saturday Night Fever

JJ

Last edited:
Dang! I keep thinking of more good ones. :cool:

Here's a bit of Angelo Badalamenti's score for Cousins. It's an underrated movie, and a vastly underrated score...

JJ

Heres just a few that come to mind:
-Edward Scissorhands
-American Beauty
-Anything from Lalo Schifrin

The Piano (Michael Nyman)

Grizzly Man (Richard Thompson)

A shout out to John Barry, may he RIP.

John Williams, Jerry Goldsmith, Elmer Bernstein, Danny Elfman, Hans Zimmer, James Horner (the stuff before Xerox was his middle name), Howard Shore, Michael Giacchino, Bear McCreary, Ron Jones, Walter Murphy. Actually I think I can put Bear at the top of that list. He's the best one going at the moment.

It's easier to list the names because the scores would be too many. My CD collection is mostly film scores. :)

Well if you want to kick it old-school, how about Bernard Herrmann?

Or the man that John Williams owes more than a little to... Erich Korngold! Tell me this doesn't make you want to swash your buckle:

JJ

Anything by John Williams. Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Jaws, I love it all.
Hans Zimmer's work on the Pirates of the Caribbean movies are great.
Apollo 13's score by James Horner.

Probably "Out of Africa" and "Life is Beautiful." I also love the theme song from "Somewhere in Time." It isn't one of my favorite movies, but my grandparents loved it so whenever I hear it, I think of them.

The Piano (Michael Nyman)

Grizzly Man (Richard Thompson)

Richard Thompson is hands down my all-time favorite guitarist, and the person I would most like to be able to sing like (at least SOMETIMES). I just wish he played ukulele too! No... wait.. that might be too depressing. Back when I played guitar a lot, I saw him do a solo acoustic gig and I didn't want to touch my guitar for a month!

Ha! I just realized that this is my 2000th post! Sweet!

I have the Howard Shore FULL soundtracks for the Peter
Jackson 'Lord of The rings' trilogy of films,and find the
music stands up on its own,if you have seen the film!
He has seperate themes for each race and dramatic ones
for the battles and so on.If you are familiar with the films,
the ten hours+ of these discs instantly bring it back to you
even if played as 'background music'.A fabulous piece of
scoring!

Yeah that's a must-get, as is the limited release 2009 Star Trek 2 disk set. And speaking of which, The Horner ST scores have also got rereleases with extra material.

But to be fair to other composers, Howard Shore is not the only one to write in a thematic style. Most of them prefer it. I mean just watch Star Wars for an example of that.

Edit - I posted this before the morning tea started to kick in. What it meant to sound like was "Isn't it cool how composers do this? Check out Star Wars for example! You can also find thematic writing still trying to cut through the fakestra and mood music of tv shows." Instead it sounds like "You're an idiot, every composer does this." - That's NOT what I was thinking. :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom