Great historical ukulele quotes

The two Ukes entered the Sack-o-Suds....

-My Cousin Vinny

The two Ukes entered the Sack-o-Suds....

-My Cousin Vinny

The judge asks: Two ukes? What is a "uke"?

Last night at about 4am, as I'm trying to come down from the one-cup-of-tea-too-many by drinking a Bacardi and Coke with too much Bacardi, I saw on Facebook that the best traditional tattoo studio in the area was doing a free tattoo day over at this store called Weekday. I thought I was drunk and read that wrong. So today I went there an hour before they opened (the tattooing was only to begin at noon, and this was 9), with a mixtures of sleepy-time and adrenaline rush going on in my body. It turns out going early was a good idea, between 12 and 6pm, they'd only get to like 25 people, since it was only two guys. I was number 16. The guys doing the tattooing would be like, if you watched Miami Ink, like getting Ami and Garver of traditional style tattooing. AND FOR FREE!

I went there to get an anchor, and I could get a cool pic for you of the anchor and the anchor necklace and the magnet... but there was this sweet traditional two color swallow... and I couldn't resist her. Still though, when she heels it'll be a cool match to the Sailor Uke magnet. :D

If you're not a fan of tattoos, or a fan of traditional flash, then none of this will make sense to you. But today I got a free tattoo by a superb artist and met some wonderful people. The bad news? I can't play the uke for a week. It's my inner right forearm. Since I'm still on my tattoo-high, this was as good a place as any to gush, since it's totally in keeping with the logo's design. :)

"Uke talkin' to me? Uke talkin' to me? Uke talkin' to me? Then who the **** else are Uke talkin' to? Uke talkin' to me? Well I'm the only one here. Who the **** do Uke think you're talking to?"

Deniro - Taxi Driver

"In closing, let me thank you, the American people, for giving me the great honor of allowing me to strum as your entertainer. When the Lord calls me home, whenever that day may be, I will leave with the greatest love for this ukulele of ours and eternal optimism for its future player. I now begin the journey that will lead me into the sunset of my life. I know that for this uke there will always be a bright dawn ahead."
Ronald Regan

"Nothing in life is certain except death and ukuleles."
Benjamin Franklin

"The happiest people are those who play the most interesting songs. Those who decide to use leisure as a means of instrumental development, who love good tabulature, good acoustics, good chords, good techniques, and Lanikai's ukuleles are the happiest people in the world. And they are not only happy in themselves; they are the cause of happiness in others."
William Phelps

Rum, tattoos and anchors? This might be for an all new quote! The swallow is a fave of sailors too along with a host of other birds. Should be a cool pic once healed:)
The judge asks: Two ukes? What is a "uke"?

Last night at about 4am, as I'm trying to come down from the one-cup-of-tea-too-many by drinking a Bacardi and Coke with too much Bacardi, I saw on Facebook that the best traditional tattoo studio in the area was doing a free tattoo day over at this store called Weekday. I thought I was drunk and read that wrong. So today I went there an hour before they opened (the tattooing was only to begin at noon, and this was 9), with a mixtures of sleepy-time and adrenaline rush going on in my body. It turns out going early was a good idea, between 12 and 6pm, they'd only get to like 25 people, since it was only two guys. I was number 16. The guys doing the tattooing would be like, if you watched Miami Ink, like getting Ami and Garver of traditional style tattooing. AND FOR FREE!

I went there to get an anchor, and I could get a cool pic for you of the anchor and the anchor necklace and the magnet... but there was this sweet traditional two color swallow... and I couldn't resist her. Still though, when she heels it'll be a cool match to the Sailor Uke magnet. :D

If you're not a fan of tattoos, or a fan of traditional flash, then none of this will make sense to you. But today I got a free tattoo by a superb artist and met some wonderful people. The bad news? I can't play the uke for a week. It's my inner right forearm. Since I'm still on my tattoo-high, this was as good a place as any to gush, since it's totally in keeping with the logo's design. :)

Oh wow, I didn't put all those elements together at first, tattoos, rum, sailors... Although yes I am big into traditional flash like I'm an old salty sea dog, and I don't know why. :)

Here she is, right after the first cleaning. There's already more definition in the shading and I'm only on day two. It's healing better than any of my others thus far. No scabs. Leaving it wrapped for 24 hours worked.

And because this is where the uke needs to rest, no playing for about a week.

newswallow.jpg

Finally got my key so I could get into the mailbox today, found a cool little magnetic button and some stickers from Mike at Uke Republic. That Sailor Brand logo is pretty cool - I may have to buy one just for the logo! :)

Thanks Mike!

John

Oh wow, I didn't put all those elements together at first, tattoos, rum, sailors... Although yes I am big into traditional flash like I'm an old salty sea dog, and I don't know why. :)

Here she is, right after the first cleaning. There's already more definition in the shading and I'm only on day two. It's healing better than any of my others thus far. No scabs. Leaving it wrapped for 24 hours worked.

View attachment 20640

I love the old flash as well. Wish I had the guts to do it. Your bird is lovely.

Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, two ukuleles, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses.
Jake: Hit it.

- The Blues Brothers

View attachment 20640

Ouch! Good ink:)
Finally got my key so I could get into the mailbox today, found a cool little magnetic button and some stickers from Mike at Uke Republic. That Sailor Brand logo is pretty cool - I may have to buy one just for the logo! :)

Thanks Mike!

John
You are now a member of an elite group. Stand tall, walk proud and hold up things on the fridge:) You are welcome and thanks for your wit. Guess I should give a few more away. I'm picking them at random - Sailor Brand magnets rock, the ukes do too!

For me, it's the final line from the great 19th century novel, Tale of Two Ukuleles, by Charles Dickens:

"It is a far, far better uke than I own, than I have ever owned; it is a far, far better fretboard that I play on, than I have ever known."

The first thing men notice about a woman is her eyes. Then, when her eyes aren't looking, they notice her ukuleles.
-- Conan OBrien

"Friends Romans Countrymen lend me your ukes....."
(something to do with Caesar and Mark's call for playing of a "processional progression" of Brahms' Lullaby)

Yuh yuh uke, muh muh make me HAPPY!

Simple Jack,
Tropic Thunder

I've played ukes you people wouldn't believe. A Kamaka tenor off the shoulder of Orion. I watched ukuleles glitter in the dark near the Tanhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. [pause] Time to play.
Rutger Hauer - Blade runner

One for the Scots:

It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for ukuleles -- for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.

Declaration of Arbroath 1320

Top Bottom