Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: changing of preffered uke size.

Default changing of preffered uke size.

hello uu,

today I made a realisation. I no longer prefer the tenor size XD
    when I first started playing ukulele on my makala pineapple I felt rather cramped on the small fretboard. and as soon as I could gather the funds to get a tenor I got a kala fmt.
    later I bought myself a tenor eleuke. and this weekend I bought a zebrawood tenor-ish uke. but in between purchasing the eleuke and the zebra-uke I got myself an old Brüko.

The scale lenght of this uke is shorter than my makala but it sounds so nice so I couldn't help myself but play it. and now I'm used to this size and my tenors feel big.

and while for finger picking I still prefer the tenor size I'm more of a strummer so Soprano is the size for me.

(shame I figured it out now, could have gotten a nice koa soprano for the money I spend on the tenors xD)

So tell me about your stories
    soprano: anna smudge a Makala pineapple (loaned out to a friend), Nyx an old Bruko no.6, old 97 a home made cigar box resonator
    concert: Iris Kanilea K-1 satin finish
    tenor: artemis a Kala flame maple tenor (low G), Jekyll a Harley Benton Sunburst Cutaway Jazz model Eleuke (high G), Pan an odd sort of tenor scale sideport only uke with a banjo bridge and tailpiece made from zebrawood and alpine spruce

MUST HAVE A BARITONE :3

great to have made a decision. I am still checking them out for myself. I have a soprano and a concert. I want a tenor next.

I loved my sorprano, but moved to the concert to 'try it out'. I instantly found it just that little bit less cramped on most chords and fell in love with it. The only thing i struggle with now is reaching the E (which i could do easily on soprano!) .
    I did try a tenor, but i found it to big, though its possible i would get used to it.

I'm the same way, I do a lot of fingerpicking and solo arrangements on my soprano and even for that I feel it's the best . I guess it's just about how much time you spend playing it, people like Ohta-san and Roy Smeck do some amazing things with their sopranos. Although I definitely prefer 15 fret models.. they allow me to play stuff like "While My Guitar Gently Weeps". If I had the money then I swear I'd have a million ukes by now haha.
    "The ukulele is a noble little instrument... anyone serious about music will eventually come to play one.

Bob Brozman

I like them all, I've gone through phases.....now I like the soprano best....go figure..

I'm a strummer too, (learning to pick some). I started out on a borrowed inexpensive Mahalo soprano. My hands aren't small so when I went to purchase I went for the Makala MK-T. Then after a few months of playing the tenor I picked up the soprano again and was liking how easy it was to get around the fretboard. So When I saw a Kala KA-C for a reasonable price in at local guit shop three weeks ago my wife insisted I buy it. Since then I've been getting used to the smaller size and believe I'll stick with the concert size.
    I would think you'd have no problem recouping much of your funds if you were to put them up in the Market place. You purchased good ukes.
    DAP
    Kala KA-TE
    Makala MK-T
    Kala KA-C (low G)
    Makala Dolphin-green burst

the problem is selling them to people in the us. because of the shipping an taxes. or don't you have import taxes?
    soprano: anna smudge a Makala pineapple (loaned out to a friend), Nyx an old Bruko no.6, old 97 a home made cigar box resonator
    concert: Iris Kanilea K-1 satin finish
    tenor: artemis a Kala flame maple tenor (low G), Jekyll a Harley Benton Sunburst Cutaway Jazz model Eleuke (high G), Pan an odd sort of tenor scale sideport only uke with a banjo bridge and tailpiece made from zebrawood and alpine spruce

MUST HAVE A BARITONE :3

Definitely love the concert scale for strumming, but not so much for picking. Prefer tenor for that. Didn't think I'd want to do that much picking so when I bought my "really good" uke I bought a concert. A funny thing happened. I bought a mainland tenor and found myself playing that more than I expected, though I really do like the "ukey" sound of a smaller body better - and the concert scale is still my favorite for strumming.

So, now I "have to have" a concert scale neck on a soprano body - just waiting to find the right one and the money together in the same place at the same time. LOL

John
    I'm not entirely convinced that it is possible to polish a turd. However, if one were to accomplish that feat one would still have a turd, and one all the more noticeable for being shiny.

Check out my ukulele-themed "stuff" at http://www.cafepress.com/fivebyfiveukulele - proceeds go to a good cause...UAS treatment!

I am liking the soprano best right now. I hope I don't keep changing because I am collecting sopranos and will probably never give a concert anyway lol.
    OHANA SK-30L, Hamano Soprano, Cordoba 15CM, Makala MK-Tenor , Luna Honu, Mahalo LesPaul in Cherry Burst, Makala Dolphin red burst, Makala Pineapple.

Quote Originally Posted by HornedOne View Post
    the problem is selling them to people in the us. because of the shipping an taxes. or don't you have import taxes?
    I don't know about import taxes. I've not purchased from overseas. Perhaps someone has the answer.
    Kala KA-TE
    Makala MK-T
    Kala KA-C (low G)
    Makala Dolphin-green burst

Thread Information