Tomorrow is World Ukulele Day!

grounduke.jpg

Hehe. Even groundhogs have to twist their arms to play E-flat!

Well,

Ground Hog Day has not been one of the memorable observances in my family history. Nobody, ever during one of our family reuinions has every said: "You remember Ground Hog Day 1963 when Jeff's chair broke in the middle of the traditional Ground Hog Day Dinner?"

So my wife and I played ukes last night at the Circle Sentencing group she runs, (I am one of her volunteers). I am not sure if some of the people there thought we were strange or maybe just confirmed what they already thought.

We might also observe August 23rd, a day I knew nothing about before this thread.

My apologies to those of you who have warm Ground Hog Day memories.

Maybe history will see Feb 2, 2011 as the beginning of the great Ukulele Rift.

Last edited:
And this year round, it will be a perfect palindrome date: 0202/2020. I never understood why August 23rd wasn't taken, it's one of the few musical instruments with an actual birthday.

Uh oh, Super Bowl Day. This year is the first in many many years that my high school friend is not having a Super Bowl party, if he did, I would bring a ukulele and do a little serenading. But as an alternative, if I get the new bamboo uke I ordered from China that's taking forever to arrive with the extended delivery due to the Chinese New Year that basically shuts down business there for 3-4 weeks, I'll play with an acoustic group that meets Sundays from 12-2, which I haven't attended in a few weeks.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly West near the Beverly Center
9 tenor cutaway ukes, 6 acoustic bass ukes, 12 solid body bass ukes, 14 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 41)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

Every day is ukulele day.

John Colter

Yep, John, it is.
We're celebrating it here on the 1st. Our trio will be busking in front of the downtown museum, like a lot of other ukulele groups, all over downtown, and there'll be a free concert by Lil Rev.

I miss Mike. The world could use more like him. A born educator and a gentle soul.

Top Bottom