New OLD Uke day!

Gmoney

Reaction score
Bought a vintage KAMAKA Pineapple uke off of eBay. Has some damage as seller described, but in generally sound condition otherwise. Now that I have it in my hands, I'm just going to lightly clean it up & then converse with Kamaka to get them to repair it. Here's some of the photos from the sellers post: I'll update the thread w/my own after I do some light cleaning.

MVC-014S.jpgMVC-008S.jpgMVC-010S.jpgMVC-007S.jpg

The first photo is the only one w/a good representation of the color of the uke. The others are darker. The second photo shows the top/side separation on the lower bout. The third, the two face cracks below the oddly SCREWED-IN bridge which has been obviously replaced by a RANK amateur! Then on the back, there is a crack on the righthand side of the back which runs between those 2 "stamps" which the seller placed to highlight the crack.

The rest of the uke is in really good shape & I'm sure after some loving attention by Kamaka will again show how great a Kamaka Pineapple really is!

Last edited:
Looks like you found a diamond in the rough. Congratulations and good luck on the rehab job!

Looks like she'll be a beauty! Congrats and good luck getting her shipshape again!

Waddup G? LOL...nice uke dude...same kind of cracking on my Keikis.....that bridge though...rough job that ;) Good luck with making her right!

Congrats Gmoney,
On the Kamaka Pineapple...wanted to see a clse up but I click on the picture and it was not working.....it looks like a good canidate for being
brougt back to playing condition...If I could see it better, I would have an idea of its age....Yeah, contact Kamaka and email some photos...
mail@kamakahawaii.com ph# 808- 531-3165 let us know how it goes...thanks for sharing...MM Stan..

Update to thread: I have talked w/Kamaka & just boxed it up to send out to them for repair. I don't have ready access to a local luthier w/any uke experience (particularly repair) & from many other threads on UU, I'm convinced this is ultimately the cheapest way for me to get a quality repair.

Besides, I also think that Kamaka does this for their own good as well; it makes sense that they spend time repairing their older instruments as well as building new ones as it is much different level of skill to successfully "take one apart" vs. putting it together. Probably helps to keep their repair dept sharp.

Some of our fellow UU'ers think that doing this negates a large amount of the ultimate value of the instrument, but for me, I think it just assures me that I'll have this uke for many more years & pass on to my kids & grandkids.

Great old Kamaka Gmoney! I can't wait to see Kamaka work their magic on it. I wonder if they will replace the bridge since someone put screws through the original? Looking forward to updates when they do repair it!

Nice, G!

I think you did the exact right thing sending it to Kamaka. It's like a salmon going home! I can't help but think they will be the best place for repair because it is theirs.

Will want pics, sound sample, and would love, if you're comfortable, a rundown of the cost of repairs and what it takes to get an instrument like this back in playing shape. The latter would be of great help to someone like me, who wants an older Kamaka but is nervous about the cost of restoration.

Last edited:
Congratz on the new/old uke and i hope it all turns out ok. I think it was right to send it to kamaka.

Top Bottom