Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Favorite Guitar Strings

Default Favorite Guitar Strings

I personally don't use anything else but Elixir Lights. To me the sound that you get from them can't be beat. Too bad they are so expensive . What strings do you use? I know some musicians in Hawaii use GHS White Bronze Mediums.

I don't think my guitar can handle those elixers. I like the feel and the sound of them but I woudln't wanna spend $15 just to have them break. I'm content using d'adarrio lights (however you spell that).

my steel string is a cheap ovation knockoff, so i use ghs 010 light electric strings. get em for $2 a pack over here. im kinda cheap. hehe. my classicals are still going strong on their original strings so i dont have much of an opinion on what strings to get for them when i need to change them out. but it seems that the d'addario line is pretty well accepted.

ive tried the elixir lights. theyre great strings. but i ended up throwing them away after two weeks and sticking to the ghs 010s. they were just too stiff. it hurt to play the guitar (go ahead and call me a panzy). do they make an extra extra light elixir set? one without a wound g string?

Default I'm a novice

I have a washburn guitar and I am a beginner. Would you recomend that I change out the factory strings for a better set? Perhaps it does'nt matter at this stage of the game.:

i have tryed dean markley stings.
    well, i have "regular" 10 light on my western guitar now. like them.
    i bought also some "blue steel"; a version from dean markley which are shock-frosted; i have'nt belived theyre better, but... wow. i have them now on my eguitar and they sound very brilliant on the high tones and also good on the lows and they're very handy for me.
    and what can i say...normally some string took some weeks to get rosty, but this version... seems to take much more time to get "old". they still are new after a good time now. costs 6 euro here (should be about 8 dollar?)
    definitely a tryout.

edit:
    @tori: yes. a change of the strings of low budget guitars (and ukes) is a mustdo for me. take some good middlecost strings for a tryout. you will see...
    Last edited by Duke; 12-09-2007 at 10:20 AM.

i use martins sp lights or folk but im trying out the eric clapton strings right now. 4 my classical i use salvarez red and blue depends which one i can find on dis rock
    Last edited by titoboy5; 12-18-2007 at 07:47 AM.

Default Old strings

What do you do with your old strings? There is a guy who has started to collect and distribute old guitar strings to musicians all over the world who do not have access to, or money to buy new strings. Check out the Second Strings Project for more information. There may be other organizations that do similar work, so keep that in mind the next time you change strings.

I don't go through many sets of guitar strings, but I just got the Ernie Ball phosphor bronze 'slinky' strings. My sister used to play in bands and she told me that the ernie ball's are all she uses and that elixir strings were good but not for the price.

The strings might be a little to noisy for my tastes though... Theres alot of string 'talk' when you move up and down the frets. I might just be weak, but my fingers hurt if I play too long on them. My fingers might just be spoiled by playin the ukulele strings. The earnie balls do sound great though!
    Last edited by davoomac; 02-14-2008 at 06:14 PM.

Ernie Ball strings are pretty good. I think D'addario phosphour bronze is pretty good also. Elixir's are really good because of the how long they last,the feel of the string, and because there's no "talk", but yeah the price is way too high for my taste. I haven't really tried Ernie Balls but if they're hurting your fingers I suggest D'addario or Dean Markley. Those are about the only strings I've tried out.
    Twitter
    Youtube
    Ukes:
    Taira (Lanikai LU-21TE/BK) [Signed and Enjoying]

rotosounds all the way any size of string they make is a good string
    -------------- --------------
    -------------------------------

I eat guitars for breakfast

Thread Information