Favorite Guitar Strings

I've used finger Ease for like 30 years and found it did help the longevity but mainly THE SQUEAKING (shudder). I've used many types of strings but now I use the Elixir Nanowebs on everything. The coatin minimizes squeaking and they last. I don't play each guitar that often so I get a long time between changes. That brings the price down to normal string prices. Also, it saves me allot of time!

D'Addario Pro Arte EJ46C Hard Tension on my Nylon
Elixir light gauge on my steel strings (Price is worth it to me)
Elixir light gauge on my solid body electrics
Thomastik-Infeld Jazz Swing JS 111 on my archtops

Regards,
Ray

Depending on the guitar- I only play acoustics, I like DR medium/heavies and Martin SP's The DR's have a real nice tone and are bright and lively. The SP's sound similar and are good when you're out in the weather hot,cold and damp.

On my acoustic I've grown quite fond of the Martin Silk and Steel strings. I'm giving these martins a few weeks before I buy/try some Elixirs. Before this I had some D'addario Phosphor Bronze and they were alright. Right now the silk and steel are nice, easy on the fingers, easy to play, and sound warm.

On my electric I had Super Slinky's and I don't know if it was just that I was using 10s or what, but when I switched to D'Addario 11s I thought they sounded much better, seemed to be a crisp/clean sound.

The only strings good enough for my Martin D-16GT are Martin MSP 4200 Phosphor Bronze Mediums. These are by far the greatest strings, and I've tried all the top brands and more. I favor Martin nylon strings for my flamenco, as well.

I hate changing strings so I just splurge on Elixirs for my acoustics and leave them on there for months and months. $15 a set seems expensive, but I really do get at least three times the life out of the Elixirs as I do with the usual strings.

Not as picky about strings for my electrics. I have a friend at D'Aquisto so I can get their stainless strings really cheap. Hoping to track down some Elixirs for my Rickenbacker 12-string, though, because changing strings on it is an absolute nightmare and I'd like to do it as infrequently as possible. :wallbash:

I personally don't use anything else but Elixir Lights. To me the sound that you get from them can't be beat. Too bad they are so expensive :(. What strings do you use? I know some musicians in Hawaii use GHS White Bronze Mediums.

Can you please recomend a place to buy these for my Uku on line? I can not find them except for Guitar.

without ANY shadow of a doubt - you should all try Thomastik Infeld strings - pricey but completely changed my guitar - they are great great quality and just sing. Seriously superb.

See http://www.stringmail.co.uk/thomastik.htm

You know its been about 20 years since I touched a guitar, but I used to use Martin Silk'n'Silvers...I don't know if they even make them anymore, but I loved them on my Gibson, now on my girlfriends Alvarez I put on D'addarios...went wtih the nylons because the steel ones tore up her dainty fingers!! ;)

Can you please recomend a place to buy these for my Uku on line? I can not find them except for Guitar.

Uh, I think those are guitar strings he's talking about. You wouldn't want to put steel acoustics on your uke.

After a new all solid mahogany acoustic last year, I experimented with lots of strings, and fell in love with John Pearse Phosphor Bronze. I found they had the brightness of the Martin strings, but still brought out the fullness of the whole range. They sound a bit like D'Addario EXP's but more rich, and about 1/3 the price. These were some of the cheapest strings I tried, but certainly the right ones for my guitar.

finally have a sound recording up on Youtube (no live vid, though... just a slide show) for anyone interested in hearing what Thomastik rope core classical strings sound like. I start out on classical.... I'm playing the chords.... Jimi's playing lead at the beginning on uke... it's also a good chance to compare a tenor uke with Aquila strings to a Ramirez classical with ropecores.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4h3oZ4POr7Y

I'm a fan of Cleartones for acoustics :)

Just switched out the strings on my classical... I was playing Thomastik ropecores, which I really like. They aren't such great strings for strictly classical playing, however. I put Savarez redcards... plastic wound G and B.

So far, I really like these strings.... the G is a lot brighter than a plain nylon string tends to be. They honestly sound like a subdued version of ropecores... clear and well-balanced. Of course, it depends on what guitar you use too.... I'm playing a Ramirez 4E, and it seems to do well, from what I've read, with higher tension strings. Not all classicals do well with high tension...

So i just bought my first guitar. it is a classical, which i know...difference between my classical and a typical steel string accoustic the strings?
Would anyone help regarding this :

First off, a classical and acoustic steel string are standardly tuned the same... from lowest string to highest (tonewise) EADGBE.

However, a classical guitar uses nylon strings, which are much lower tension than steel. You should never put steel strings on a classical because it will damage the tuner barrels and/or bridge, buckle the face, etc. The lower three strings are usually silver or nickel wound over nylon. The higher three are usually plain nylon, although there are wound variations that you can get. Generally, you don't use a pick for classical guitar either.

I use D'addario on all of my acoustic. It's been so long since I changed the electric I couldn't even tell you...probably D'addario though. Elixer strings are way too expensive for me.

Top Bottom