Strumming - weird phenomenon or normal ???

Blisters_left

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm trying to learn to play since about 4 weeks now and I'm happy with my uke and how much I was able to pick up in such a short time (being an absolute music-newbie before... I never before had my hands on any instrument.....)

But now as I'm able to play a few songs without thinking about it , I recognized a kind of crazy movement I make when I'm strumming - I'm always bending and extending my index finger while strumming (that's the finger I use)...
Is that a normal movement (I do this without thinking about it and my strumming sounds normal to me) ?

Does this have something to do with my -:uhoh:- very short nails as I must admit to be a nailbiter ?

Do I have to change my strumming habit (I know I definitely SHOULD stop biting my nails but I just can't) for any reason that may occur later on, or can I just go on strumming as my finger wants to ?

Thanks for your advice....
B_L

Whatever works for you is just fine.

I kinda agree with GKK. I spent a good portion of my early months (and still do actually) trying to replicate the "proper" strum that people talked about in videos. Although I have learned how to do it "properly", I tend to do my own strum when I am just playing away. Strum away. You're only doing it wrong if you're not having fun.

B_L, sounds like you have a good beginning on the strum. Keep it up. there are many styles and techniques available too.
DAP

It's not a classical guitar, so if it sounds good and is effective for you, no one will laugh at how you strum, or how you hold your uke. Maybe try looking for strumming tutorials on YouTube, and see how many variants you can find.

I'm a nurse, and I'm here to tell you that biting your nails is BAD for your teeth. And it's bad for your whole digestive system if you swallow any of the nail. I hope you can find a healthier habit, like strumming more...
When you feel like biting, pick up the uke. Or I'll smack your hand!

All good advice (though not sure swallowing a bit of nail is bad for your digestive system!!)

There is no right and wrong, and if you look at videos of the ukulele greats through time, you will find they have different strums. Sounds like you are happy and enthusiastic with your uke, so keep at it I say

There was this really nice American dude who was at the pub where local uke players get together to play. He was a bass player and felt drawn to his other 4 string brothers and sisters. It was nice to talk to someone from the US (I haven't been back in years. :/ ), so we're chatting and he loves my Koaloha. He said "Oh this so not a toy!" He finally hands it back and he wants to hear me play while he lays down so table-slapping bass. I play some and mess up some, but we're talking about technique and I comment that I'm not doing it "right." He replied that "Nah, that's your vibe. That's how you play." <-- And he's right.

He was a really nice guy. But I already have my own in-house bass player. :D

Thanks for all your encouraging replys - so I'll keep on strumming, and don't worry about what my finger does - as long as he's got fun too *lol*
This board is just amazing - everybody wants to help and I can learn such a lot from all of you - thanks !!!

B_L

But now as I'm able to play a few songs without thinking about it , I recognized a kind of crazy movement I make when I'm strumming - I'm always bending and extending my index finger while strumming (that's the finger I use)...
Is that a normal movement?

Is it kind of like flicking a booger off the front of your shirt? Because I guess I do that movement too, now that you mention it.

No idea if it's "normal", but it's what I do anyway. :)

JJ

Is it kind of like flicking a booger off the front of your shirt?
JJ
-

Yes - that's exactly the kind of movement I make (kind of start with bent index finger, stretching it out at the downstrum and bending it on the upstrum)....

B_L

Edit: hmmm - now I'm not sure - because I did't know what "booger" is - I thought it was a synonyme for "crumb" now after I googled it (yes I AM courious): I've never flicked boogers off my shirt *lol" but I think it's the same movement as flicking away crumbs or anything else....

Last edited:
I believe that flick is actually one of the proper methods and variants, I swear I remember Aldrine Guerrero illustrating it in a Uke Minute, although there was no mention of boogers that I recall.

It's a new strum - the booger flick - and before long everyone is going to be doing it.
"Hey, can you booger flick strum?"
"I started learning, it nearly got there yesterday."
"Well keep at it man, I swear you'll sound just like B_L."
"Cool"

I do the same kind of strum. And I too have tried to make myself change, as many of the videos online depict players with a "fist-like" strum hand. And many books show this same illustration. My hand certainly does not look like a fist when I strum.

...and I can't seem to get myself to change, so I just go with it.

Top Bottom