I'll Be There - ukulele comparison video

Nuprin

Reaction score
A few people were asking about sound differences between my Mya Moe and my MP Custom. Playing UkeJon's amazing arrangement of "I'll Be There" by the Jackson 5. I'd been meaning to record this song for a few weeks now so I figured I'd combine a comparison video with the song. I figured while I was at it I'd add in my Kamaka and Kanile'a.

I tried to control the recording aspect as best as I could...same microphone, same compressor, same reverb, no EQ. Please keep in mind that all of these ukuleles are made of different woods and are all strung with different strings (other than the Kamaka, they are strung with the stock strings they came with).

Ukuleles in the video:
1. Mya Moe Northwest Aloha Series tenor cutaway (solid myrtle top, back & sides) - strung with Worth Clears.
2. MP Custom tenor (solid spruce top, solid koa back & sides) - strung with D'Addario T2s.
3. Kanile'a Custom T (solid maple top, back & sides) - strung with Aquilas.
4. Kamaka HF-3 (solid koa top, back & sides) - strung with D'Addario Pro Artes.

I found it interesting that the Kanile'a has more low end than the others considering you normally hear about what a bright wood maple is.

Anyway, the video:

Last edited:
Great review. The editing was so seamless, I had to keep my eyes carefully glued to the screen to know when you switched from one to the other. Too many reviewers spend 3/4 of the review reading us the specs and not playing, so we can hear what they sound like. (Not that I don't appreciate anyone that takes the time to post a review). I was also surprised that the maple had so much bass, but the Kamaka did too. I can only attribute it to the construction technique they used, or maybe myrtle and spruce sound a lot alike.

Last edited:
Awesome video,:bowdown: instant favorite for me, just for the great comparisons done:worship:!
Thanks loads!

:music:The playing is incredible, too.

Man, I love it. Great way to do a side-by-side review. Watching you play makes me hope that you imparted just a bit of your evident mojo into the Gstring I bought from you! I can hope, right?

The intro you do to the piece sounds like a lick from "Sweet Baby James".

Thanks for the kind words everyone!

I've already bought the ticket. I'm coming to take your Myamoe. ;)

Blond myrtle with maple binding. That seals my decision! Now then, I just need some money.

So what do you use to record? Video and mic...

This video was done using a Rode K2 mic going into my Digi003. For some of my other videos I have also used an AKG 451 or a Blue Blueberry (sometimes I'll use both together). For video, in the past I have used the built-in webcam from my Macbook or a Zoom Q3. Neither of these are HD compatible though and, just before I recorded Bohemian Rhapsody, I suddenly realized that my iPhone 4's video camera was. So, for both Bohemian Rhapsody and this I just used my iPhone. Mixed in Pro Tools, synced and edited in iMovie.

Awesome comparison video ---Do you have a favourite?

Right now I'm leaning towards my Mya Moe but the MP is a close 2nd. When I first got my Mya Moe I actually liked my MP more but the Mya Moe has recently taken the lead.

I've already bought the ticket. I'm coming to take your Myamoe. ;)

Ummmm...please don't. I like her.

:eek:ld:Upon reflection,it occurs to me that this video is the perfect UAS enabler device.

Wife/Husband/Partner/Other: "Okay, so why do you need another ukulele?" :wallbash:

The junkie replies: "Just sit down and watch this:drool:..."

Top Bottom