Buzz on 2nd string when fret 3

Reaction score
I'm newbie and have got this Kala KA-C last week from e-bay. Bad luck for me that it is buzz. First, it buzz on 2nd and 3rd string. So, I do shimming at saddle and now 3rd string (C sting) is ok but 2nd string still have. When I fret from 1 to 5 - 1 and 2 is ok , 3 and 4 is buzz then 5 is ok.

I shimming saddle by plastic card (should be 0.3 mm as standard card thickness). I feel string is more tension.

Please advice should I do sanding on fret or another way to solve this.

Thank you in advance for every comment.

Update, I just strum C-G-Am-F and found that with G strumming its show buzz very clear but for others chord there is a little buzz also.

When I inform a seller from e-bay about buzz, he told me like this ..
All of these ukuleles played fine when we had tested them out. If you're experiencing any kind of buzzing then it should be a simple fix of shimming the saddle up. The saddle is not glued in, so when the strings are loosened it's very easy to raise it up using thin pieces of paper or a credit card.

Is it possible that first it is ok and later it is buzz?

Aloha 0019,
I personally wouldn't let him get away selling you defective products and demand your money back or exchange..not sure if it was new or used or a private seller....

Aloha mm stan,

I try to contact and request for his responsibility but last message from him as I show above I think he don't accept this problem because he said ukes are fine when he tested it. I wonder why first it is no buzz but now it is.

Aloha Kekani,

I try to read that topic but because my English is not good so I don't understand it much. I have to do this shortcut to solve my problem by asking you with symptom I have found. And my luthier skill is zero so some of solution from that topic I can't do.

By the way, I bought these ukes with 'Blem' description but I thought it just a cosmetic issue with blem word they used. Or they mean sounding issue is include in Blem word.

"Blem" refers to a cosmetic flaw, it is short for "blemish." Buddhuu's thread is comprehensive. While the source of your buzz (#8 symptom) may be any of the few different problems he enumerates, I'd be inclined to think that the 5th fret is high. I surmise this is also what Kekani is suggesting when he says the frets have not been leveled. Kekani?

Aloha hmgberg,
Thanks for your suggestion. I can't see the different of level of fret but I agree with you.

Aloha Kekani,
And what you mean for below sentence? Is Kala is not good? (Can I ask this question?)

Its a Kala, so with that price range, I guarantee the frets aren't levelled.

Kala's are cheap `ukulele, so they don't go through the process of levelling frets. Just to be fair, MOST factory instruments don't go through the process of levelling frets. I've seen some custom instruments without levelled frets, but, with no buzz either.

As for changing once shipped, yes, that happens, especially with humidity changes. Remember, humidity will change in transit as well.

Levelling frets can be part of a compreshensive setup, which you'll pay to get done especially since they'll have to be recrowned after being level. Just to be fair, not all instruments need to have a comprehensive setup from the start, but, I do ALL of mine before they go out. Of course, that gets added in to the cost of the instrument. Professional musicians have technicians when they go on tour to take care of stuff like that. For the rest of us, its either a local tech, or do it ourselves.

Based on what you said, hmgberg is correct, you probably have a high fret. You won't be able to see it, you need to measure it. There are tools to do this http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Fretting_supplies/Measuring/Fret_Rocker.html but I just use different sizes of engineer's squares since I have them.

One more thing, for the price, Kala is a good instrument. Not something I would play, but its good for starting out.

You could try higher tension strings first.

I hope this helps.

Aaron

Aloha Aaron,
Thanks for the good comment. I will send it to luthier at ukulele shop to fix this for me.

Again.. please help me watch this clip.

I record sound of this ukulele to give seller know what is problem. In my opinion, I heard buzz but seller said he don't.
After watching the video I'm not sure what the problem is. Both ukuleles sounded great and play perfectly. There was absolutely no buzzing detected in that video. I would even consider that video good enough to promote the tone of these ukuleles.

Do you hear buzzing from this video?

Did you try switching strings with another brand? Has ALWAYS worked for me, whenever I've heard buzzes. Try Worths. Or Fremonts, if you like brighter tones.
That might be over simplified, but many solutions are.

Aloha oolee,
Thank you. I have 1 set of Aquila and will try. If it can't solve, I will pass to lutheir to fix it.

For the video, it was hard to hear if there was a buzz, or not. I will say this, anyone can make ANY `ukulele buzz, just pick the strings the way you do, and if the frets aren't level, there's a greater chance of buzzing. Just listening to the video, I don't think buzzing (if its there) is your biggest problem.

Let me give more detail on my suggestion, if you plan on changing strings first -
You could try good quality, high tension strings first.

That being said, think about what you're planning on doing - taking a Kala, with Aquila's, to a luthier to have it set up.
Personally, if it bother's you that much, sell it and move on to a better instrument. Then take your new instrument and spend your $50 to $100 or so and have it set up. Otherwise, keep playing until you're ready for your next one.

. . .If it can't solve, I will pass to lutheir to fix it.

By the way, there's nothing to "fix" per se. It's so common for someone to say an `ukulele is broken (not just you), when all it needs is a set up. Bridge flying off, headstock broken off, back cracked - that's broken. Buzzing, action, et al - setup.

Just my $.02.

Aaron

Last edited:
I try to sell it but no one interesting. However, thanks for your reply again. You gave me a good comment to see it different way.

I can hear the buzz on the 2nd string, 3rd and 4th fret. I think your 5th fret is high. I agree with Kekani's suggestion, however, it probably will cost you almost as much to have the ukulele set up as you paid for it. It looks like your ukulele has Aquila strings on it; you might try some high-tension Worth strings before you do anything else. If you are at all skilled, you could try filing the top of the fret, very slowly, very little at a time, and playing in between filing to hear if the buzz goes away. If you are lucky, this will be the only fret you have to deal with. In any case, like Kekani says, save your money and get a better quality instrument. The one you have is fine as a starter ukulele, but not one you can be too discriminating about.

Yes, this comes with Aquila string. I will find worth to try. And what about filling fret you mention?

Next time, no Kala in my choice. I will looking for Kamaka (but I have to collect money for a year).

Aloha Aaron,
Sorry to say, if I paid money and I had a uke that buzzed, I'd say it defective and return it....why should I pay for and instrument that the frets are not level and buzzes ....beyond my logic..
It is the manufacture and the retailer responsibility isn't it??? so should I have to pay for a leveling if needed on a new uke I just bought....outragous...man!! MM Stan..

Aloha Aaron,
Sorry to say, if I paid money and I had a uke that buzzed, I'd say it defective and return it....why should I pay for and instrument that the frets are not level and buzzes ....beyond my logic..
It is the manufacture and the retailer responsibility isn't it??? so should I have to pay for a leveling if needed on a new uke I just bought....outragous...man!! MM Stan..

Stan, you shouldn't pay for an instrument that buzzes and has the frets that needs to level. Unless you know how to correct it and get a discount going in.

As for returning it, I'll give you this - if its a midrange Factory instrument like a Kamaka, KoAloha, Kanile'a, yes, I'd agree. A higher end instrument, Ko`olau, etc or a custom instrument, definitely. A Kala, as good as they are for a foreign instrument, I'd get rid of it and get a better one.

Believe me, I've seen so many instruments without levels frets, in stores, its not even funny. That includes midrange factory instruments as well (though, not so much of them). Yes, that means I can see it without measuring. Did it buzz? No. Action high? Yes. Need to be setup and frets level? Of course. Granted, there are more properly setup instruments than poorly setup ones, but, the ones that need attention are still out there.

In this case, Kala's are cheap instruments. It is what it is, donate it, give it away, get a better instrument, or be happy and keep playing. I don't think its worth it to pay for a setup on that instrument, even though that's what it needs.

Top Bottom