"Army Life"

H

Hippie Dribble

g'day gang

This is a song written by Gitz Rice during the Great War. Rice served in The Canadian Army in Europe. He was also a pianist and songwriter and wrote many tunes to entertain his fellow comrades; this one was certainly one of his most popular.

The song was later adopted by the American Armed Forces who turned it into a bittersweet parody of their own circumstances. My version is based on this one, which was first recorded by Lead Belly in 1948, and then by Pete Seeger in 1961.

I used a Collings uke and recorded it on a pile of bark chips at Miss Eugenie's Boot Camp yesterday afternoon. :uhoh:

This is the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbdzhNhh7Eg

Thanks for taking a look! Hope you enjoy it. Real simple too, just the three chords F, C and Bb. :eek:

:deadhorse:

Another eugene hit! I think we need a video tour of your amazing and beautiful property! :)
That uke is amazing! Thanks for sharing another great video!

Eugene your songs always bring a smile to my face. I have heard that song before but I don't think I actually listened to the words. Your playing was amazing and I really like the Colling uke.
Fitncrafty I think we are getting a tour of his beautiful property.

Aloha Bruddah Jon,
I agree will all the above, great job as usual and always a pleasure...keep um comin' ......
and maybe make a video of your great home and where you live,,, you've been teasing us too long..
You're one lucky Guy, wish we all could sing and play like you...and have all you have....Happy Strummings....MM Stan

Last edited:
This is a new one on me.
Excellent job Eugene.

Love it. Since starting playing i´ve really taken to tunes written in the 20´s. 30´s and 40´s. You sure pick some good´uns. Thanks for the great performance and the inspiration. I´ve been bashing away at this tune all morning. Best stop and have some lunch. Keep them coming please.

That's a classic, and also converts to Boy Scouts on a Scouting campout very easily. Thanks for sharing it.

to fitncrafty, Roxie, Stan, Alan, Zane, Tio and MiG

you guys are awesome. Thanks so much for taking the time and trouble to post a comment. Thanks heaps for your kind and encouraging words. :)

I only became aware of this song after I bought Pete Seeger's 5 CD box set "American Favorite Ballads" a couple of years back. Since then I have become a goner for traditional folk music and especially, a junkie for learning about the history and social context of the songs. Most of them are fairly easy to play but there always seems to be enough elbow room to put your own little take on each one.

Really appreciate the vote of confidence guys :eek:

Top Bottom