Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Low G Not for me.

Default Low G Not for me.

I have been playing the uke for about 4 months now. I came over after 30 years or so on the guitar. At first the hi g string threw me off a bit. But when I play my concert uke I love the original "UKE Sound". Then I bought a Tenor with the low g setup and honestly, I just can't hear the ringing, jangly uke sound I am used to. SO, tonight I put a hi g set on my Pono Tenor and am loving it. Am I missing something without having one of my ukes strung low G?
    Beeru Onegashimasu.
    Little ukes, Bigger ukes, Big ukes
    Stupid looking Hat
    Sunglasses and Sandles

High G for me.
    cletus

Both. It depends on what you are playing and strumming/picking. I have two Baris strung high/low and two tenors strung high/low. Sometimes in picking melody lines and fill in notes I like the low G, but also sometimes some songs and some picking just works best with high G. It really is a matter of personal preference and what sounds good to you. Lozark
    Kala Spalted Maple Solid spruce top Baritone C/ high G
    Ohana B-35 Solid Mahogany Baritone G tuning
    Makala Mahogany laminate Baritone G
    Kala Solid Acacia slotted headstock Baritone G Martin J68
    Kala Solid Lacewood Baritone Bb all metal Classic flat wounds
    Kala Solid Koa Baritone Cutaway w/PU C / high G
    Kala Solid Mahogany Baritone C Linear

Yeah I have the same thing. Low G sounds weird to me. It doesn't sound weird when other people play it, but it sounds weird in my hands.

Kanile'a dlx super concert / Koaloha concert / Ohana sk-38 / Risa Uke Solid Tenor

@Apollostowel @RockingDodars The Rocking Dodar Blog Proud to be TIGER. A REAL Tiger. All-in all the freakin' time.

If you need me I'll be on twitter, google+ or r/ukulele

I tend to like High G lately myself and also have been playing mostly sopranos. My Tenor is low G. I guess it just depends. To me the Low G would be best on a baritone lol. I am curious Lozark how do you tune the Baritones?
    OHANA SK-30L, Hamano Soprano, Cordoba 15CM, Makala MK-Tenor , Luna Honu, Mahalo LesPaul in Cherry Burst, Makala Dolphin red burst, Makala Pineapple.

When I first tuned one of my ukes low G I didn't like it. But I stuck with it and after a while it started to grow on me, especially when I found some low G strings I really liked (Worth LGCHHD). Now 1/3 of my ukes are tuned low G and I probably reach for a low G 75% of the time.

To me the uke sound is with the reentrant tuning. While I understand why some like low G, to my ears it makes it sound more like a guitar, especially on the larger ukes. It loses the unique quality of those tight chords.

Quote Originally Posted by dkcrown View Post
    When I first tuned one of my ukes low G I didn't like it. But I stuck with it and after a while it started to grow on me, especially when I found some low G strings I really liked (Worth LGCHHD). Now 1/3 of my ukes are tuned low G and I probably reach for a low G 75% of the time.
    Ditto. I tried low g and could never stick with it. There was a song I was determined to learn that was for a low g uke (Herb Ohta Jr. and Brittni Paiva's versions of "Europa") so I kept trying. I finally put on some Fremont Blacklines and was content enough to stay low g, but when I tried these strings (the same Worth LGCHHD that dkcrown likes) there was no going back. I have succumbed to the dark side for good. It is now low g for me all the way.

I still keep my other ukes high g for when I want that sound on occasion, but I play my low g one 99% of the time.
    Moore Bettah Kauai Dreams undersea inlay tenor "Hui Nani"
    Moore Bettah slothead offset soundhole tenor "Kula Leo"
    KoAloha KTMS-00 "Lokomaika'i"

Building and Owning a Bettah Ukulele: The story of Moore Bettah Ukuleles
    Listen With Your Heart: The KoAloha Ukulele Story
    Listen With Your Heart: The KoAloha Ukulele Story e-book edition

Have you tried dropped tuning...

Quote Originally Posted by Plainsong View Post
    Yeah I have the same thing. Low G sounds weird to me. It doesn't sound weird when other people play it, but it sounds weird in my hands.
    +1. Too much like the guitars I played for 40 years! :-) A uke sounds right with that high g, IMHO. But I've heard some great things out of low g ukes, so that's what makes horse racing.
    My Soprano Empire:
    VINTAGE MARTINS: c.'48 Martin 0
    OTHER VINTAGE: c30s Blue Favilla, c50 TV Pal, 30s Redhead
    MODERN MARTINS: OXK; 2012 2M
    KAMAKA: 2010 Pineapple (RIP MGM)

My Baritone Empire:
    '12 Kala KA-B, '69 Silvertone, c.'53-57 Favilla, c.'63 Martin, '11 Kamaka

STRUMTESTS//ADD to The STRING DATABASE and UKE CASE DATABASE // Take the NAME THAT MARTIN test.

Thread Information