How do I convince my Wife I need a 4th uke?

I guess I'm square. My answer is: It's called a budget, man. You pay the bills, you put some in savings, then you both get your mad money. If you want something big and spendy, you save your personal mad money for that instead of getting espressos and knocking off to the pub*. It's only a problem when someone goes spending money that isn't there.
Ahh, wth do I know? I'm single.

*Incidentally, if you BOTH go to the pub... that's "groceries." ;)

How many pairs of shoes does she have? More than she needs? I know my wife does, but she still buys more.

This is really the best concept to bear in mind when asking your wife to agree to the purchase, IMHO. I wouldn't go to her closet and start counting, or asking her if she really needs all of those shoes (women do need more shoes than men). But understand, rather, that she appreciates nice shoes, and wearing them makes her feel good about herself. Take the "I want" approach, as opposed to "I need" one. Because, as has been said, yoou really don't need it. The pitfall of the "low g" explanation is that you can only use it once. When you want that solid koa tenor, and you will, what will you say then? Tell her you want it, why you will be happy with it, and then offer to take her shopping for a pair of shoes.

Think i will sandbag the low g blag for the custom Hawaiian.
I can afford it so seeking forgiveness is plausible.
I love the wife uker perspective. You're playing the pipe collector like a fiddle. Genius.
My mahalo hasn't turned up yet. So i feel i need more time - a bit rude otherwise.
Damn the 12 step process is no joke. Next it will be a Fluke, Risa Solid, a custom hawaiia, spruce one and then maybe go build one with Pete Howlett.

I went with "I'm a man who appreciates quality" and when she really puts the pressure on "I really just got to have it or I'm gonna cry"

Just to chip in some thoughts. I asked my wife what here thoughts are as well.

* Find the best price you can and then compare it to the highest. Tell her how much money you're saving if you get it from a certain shop.

* If necessary, combine this with "the deal only lasts for a few days".

* Tell your wife that your ukuleles make you happy.

* Offer her a pedicure.

Just to chip in some thoughts. I asked my wife what here thoughts are as well.
Brilliant - This is much appreciated!

* Find the best price you can and then compare it to the highest. Tell her how much money you're saving if you get it from a certain shop.

* If necessary, combine this with "the deal only lasts for a few days".

* Tell your wife that your ukuleles make you happy.

* Offer her a pedicure.

This is fine advice!

I am waiting... What plan of action did you take and was it successful.
For all of you out there that said things like pull up your man pants I am wondering IF you have ever been married and if you have how many times you have been divorces (-:

My 3rd Uke turned up today - Just a cheap small Mahalo for holiday strumming so I don't have to worry about wrecking an expensive uke.

So for the moment I think I'll procrastinate and position that delay as "careful consideration" with the missus when that time comes. When that time comes could be any day, week or month but I doubt I'll wait too long. I should really get some playtime in on the Mahalo first anyway.

I will post my results.

Thanks for some excellent ideas.

Special thanks to Plainsong for her patience and perspective proving that UAS is certainly not a gender thing.

Cheers,
Claudio
http://claudio-uke.blogspot.com/

I was able to convince mine that each one has a different purpose or a different tuning. That worked for my Mya Moe Tenor Resonator. I am sure it will not work again for me, as I now have 5 of them. It also helps that my wife is very understanding. If that doesn't work tell her that she can waste the same amount of money on something she wants - or better yet, buy her something and then tell her that you are thinking about buying this new uke.

i positively encourage my wife to spend money on frivolous crap that she says she wants, whatever it is , i back her 100 percent. whether it be clothes, make up shoes bags or whatever. i also encourage her to have hobbies that cost money and equipment to do them.

this is a default position for me. the reason i do this is because i not only have UAS but i have general Instrument addiction syndrome. since we have been married ( 3 years) i have bought 4 ukes, 2 basses, a glockenspiel, a cajon, 2 stylophones, about 200 quids worth of percussive stuff, studio monitors mixers, microphones etc and i still haven't stopped. i have no intention of stopping. this is my hobby and it makes me happy and i can afford it.
so my advice is do what i do.;)

having said all that i just bought an eleuke for 200 quid from the states and i havent told her yet. i am planning on telling her that i got it for about 1/3 of the normal price and that Paul at southern uke store called me to offer it me cos it was a sample he was sent and he knows he will have no hope selling a leftie.

this is of course an awful lie. sorry paul.:(

The latest:
I find that if I sit on a decision, there's a good reason and I usually change my mind. I'm trying to jump a few places on the 12 step UAS programme and my latest idea is to think about getting something a bit more high-end.
The Kala string spacing is a bit narrow. So I'm looking at getting Kanile'a or Pete Howlett to make me exactly what I want.

I don't think this is the thread for me. Either I'm going to blow a gasket, or just be very sad.

Yeah, I was reading through this drivel thinking the same. This thread has basically turned into a "misogynistic boys club tips for brainwashing the woman who loves you" guide.

The question isn't "How do I convinve my wife I need a 4th uke?" it should be "How do I convinve my wife that she needs her first uke?":)

Step one: Do more research online re: Kala solid acacia tenor uke. Some folks feel it's not very loud.

Step two: For that kind of money, evaluated other similar ukes that may give you more for your money. For example, I see some used Ponos for some amazing prices on a regular basis.

Step three: Sell Laminate, add money to the $300 quid and get a better uke than the Kala

I sit on big important-to-me decisions too. Then when the time comes, I make an impulse call, and sometimes it's different than the thing I wanted, and it's always the right choice. It's worked for everything from ukes to tattoos. Example, I've always known I wanted a compass tattoo, and where I wanted it. That wasn't the impulse. The impulse was when the Helsinki tattoo convention was going on, I said that morning that I wanted to go. If I didn't find an artist appropriate for it, then it wasn't meant to be on that day. No big deal. Well I went there, and the booth of a place that I knew had a good reputation was nearly empty. I asked who'd like to do a compass. This guy with a friendly face lights up, he loves compasses and hasn't done one in ages. I look at the portfolio and he's not lying. So we pick something he already has drawn up but of course he's going to change it around for me and make it mine.

The end result was a compass I could never have imagined getting. And it was totally impulse. The choice itself wasn't an impulse, but the final call was. So was my superconcert. :)

(sadly, I can't post a pic for a while, I was an idiot about aftercare so he's gonna touch it up for me. You can still see the awesomeness of it, but I'd hate to post it and have his name come up in the google searches. The lines are clean clean clean, but I lost some ink in a few places. He's a spectacular artist.)

My 3rd Uke turned up today - Just a cheap small Mahalo for holiday strumming so I don't have to worry about wrecking an expensive uke.

So for the moment I think I'll procrastinate and position that delay as "careful consideration" with the missus when that time comes. When that time comes could be any day, week or month but I doubt I'll wait too long. I should really get some playtime in on the Mahalo first anyway.

I will post my results.

Thanks for some excellent ideas.

Special thanks to Plainsong for her patience and perspective proving that UAS is certainly not a gender thing.

Cheers,
Claudio
http://claudio-uke.blogspot.com/

How do you convince your wife? You don't. Hike up your man-trousers and go buy the uke.

+1 - LOL

I've never understood the "how do I convince my wife/husband" thing. If you have the money (without taking food out of the kids mouths or busting the mortgage) then buy the uke. If you don't have the money then no amount of convincing of your mate is going to make it a reasonable purchase!

John

Top Bottom