How do I convince my Wife I need a 4th uke?

...For all of you out there that said things like pull up your man pants I am wondering IF you have ever been married and if you have how many times you have been divorces (-:

Married to the same woman 33 years next month.

If I'd ever once had to ask for permission to spend the money I earn we'd no longer be married (by my choice).

If I frittered money away while failing to meet my obligations to provide for her and the kids we'd no longer be married (by her choice).

You earn your "man pants" by stepping up and being a man. LOL

John

Well jewelry may help as a bribe.

Well, there are "man/woman pants" and there are practical matters.

I'm a guy successfully married 27 years, and you can see from my sig line that I have no shortage of ukes. (Add a Kamaka to that list.)

I've never asked permission (I have asked advice) and there's never been a rumble.

Why?

Because we both have our own mad money. Our stash. It's ours and it's ours alone to spend how we see fit. Period. The amount is based on a formula we came up with that works for us. I never, ever go outside of my stash for a purchase, nor does my bride. I sell things off, move things around, or just do without until the fund is where it needs to be for me to buy what I want.

Having one's own mad money is a beautiful thing. No stress, no arguments, no worries.

Last edited:
Decision now made and executed!!!

I have forgotten about the Kala and I have instead commissioned Pete Howlett to make me something amazing with master grade koa. Funnily enough it costs several times more than the Kala but I have a lot more conviction about spending that much money on a Pete Howlett than I do spending £300 on a Kala.

Cheers
Claudio
http://claudio-uke.blogspot.com/

Congrats! Was it easier getting your wife onside by making a purchase that shows you're doing it right? :)

I think it would be a cruel spouse indeed who well and truly forbid you something you wanted. I think it's more concern for budgets and all those every day concerns of not so much if you can get that thing you want, but how and when.

Was it easier getting your wife onside by making a purchase that shows you're doing it right? :)

I just explained that I took careful consideration. She doesn't agree it's the right thing to do because I've only been playing for 7 months but she didn't really put up any argument or stop me. Every so often I have a little splash out but I'm not extravagant. We live well within our means so it wasn't much of an issue.

Does she play anything herself? It's easier to play something that has been built to be played. My husband was supportive because he bruised his hands on his dad's mandolin, and thought uke solved all those things he hated about that instrument. :)

Top Bottom