Another Jake Shimabukuro ukulele on eBay

mds725

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I'd never pay $10K for any uke, especially one that was purchased new for $5500, but at least this auction's asking price is not insanely offensive like the 17K. While I would never pay it, I'm guessing somebody out there could if they really regretted the chance to get one of these new.

I'd never pay $10K for any uke, especially one that was purchased new for $5500, but at least this auction's asking price is not insanely offensive like the 17K. While I would never pay it, I'm guessing somebody out there could if they really regretted the chance to get one of these new.

I feel even $9995.00 is offensive even..Gee I cant imagine paying even $5500.00...
All these guys either shouldn't have won the lottery and gave another one a chance
to get one or I'd say they can't play them....I would have gotten something to my
specifications, so it works for me and sounds like I would like it to...and you can
always add the finishing Jake touches...BTW this one may have been posted before
for 11,000...

Why haz not slotted headstock? o_O I absolutely love the look of the slotted headstock on his uke... that one kinda kills it... that said, I wouldn't spend even 5500 for it xD

Warmer...maybe he'd take less if it was paid in person in cash since Paypal plus Ebay fees would eat into a ton of his gross receipts from that sale.

You could commission a better instrument for that moolah.

I've got no idea why this instrument is such a price. Who paid money for these suckers? $3000 maybe but not this price especially without the slotted headstock! Sorry if I seem harsh but I don't think a signature model ukulele is worth that much.

Even if I had that kind of money (which I really don't) I would buy a custom from someone like a UU luither like Pete Howlett..since he could make it to my specs (I chose him because he's the only one I've seen in the UK near me!)

I've got no idea why this instrument is such a price. Who paid money for these suckers? $3000 maybe but not this price especially without the slotted headstock! Sorry if I seem harsh but I don't think a signature model ukulele is worth that much.

Ah, now I feel like I'm sucking up...I didn't realise you were the post above me! :eek:

There are others in the UK tho I would gladly build you a uke for much much less than this puppy!

If I dropped that amount I want something old. You can build something amazing but it still will not sound as good as when it gets much older. Or am I mistaken in this? Nothing in my experience has come close to my 1948 Gibson TU-1, except a friends 1953 Gibson TU-2. Pete, I checked out your link. Looks like some beautiful stuff. Now if Jake had played the instrument in question....?

Age does not guarantee a good sound - it has to be good off the bat and I personally never expect to use the phrase 'It will improve over time" -I'd feel a failure if I had to justify a poor sounding instrument in such a way. If you have commissioned an expensive boutique instrument it has got to be good from the get go. Getting that old sound is simply a matter of building it like an old one using similar materials. Those old Gibsons' were made from particularly fine mahogany which is very rare these days...

I offer $3000..

..but only because my initials are J.S. (really).

Fat chance I'll get it, though.

Age does not guarantee a good sound - it has to be good off the bat and I personally never expect to use the phrase 'It will improve over time" -I'd feel a failure if I had to justify a poor sounding instrument in such a way. If you have commissioned an expensive boutique instrument it has got to be good from the get go. Getting that old sound is simply a matter of building it like an old one using similar materials. Those old Gibsons' were made from particularly fine mahogany which is very rare these days...

I should, but I don't know how to identify fine mahogany. I understand, or have read that "denser" (the wood, not me) is better. How can one look at a piece of mahogany and make an assessment. I assume that better sound has little to do with looks, i.e., curl or flame. Coould be very wrong though.

Top Bottom