Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So I tabbed out Jake's 'Dragon'..

Default So I tabbed out Jake's 'Dragon'..

I just finished tabbing out and learning Jake's "Dragon". Am I allowed to share what I've tabbed out for myself or am I supposed to get permission from the artist? For being my third tab ever I think I did a pretty good job transcribing the song too.

i guess jake won't give you a permission. as far as i know he asked dominator to stop sharing the tabs he picked out aswell. sad...

How does that whole "tabbing someone else's songs" work? Oh and When I say tabbed out, right now its written on loose leaf notebook paper.

I usually make a tab for songs like that because it makes it easier for me to learn and memorize the song. Its good ear training too. ^_^

Hi David,
    So I guess this is not one of the songs I helped you with in the past. I transcribed a "live" version of it some time ago. For some reason I though I had sent it to you.

Regardless, it is very good training to break down a song like this. I'd like to see what you came up with when you get it in an electronic format.
    --------------------------------------
    Dominator

Dominator Ukulele Tabs
    Dominator on MySpace
    Dominator on Youtube
    Practice Makes Practice Perfect

Quote Originally Posted by davoomac View Post
    How does that whole "tabbing someone else's songs" work? Oh and When I say tabbed out, right now its written on loose leaf notebook paper.

I usually make a tab for songs like that because it makes it easier for me to learn and memorize the song. Its good ear training too. ^_^
    Because of the copyright issue I think it is good courtesy to contact the artist and ask for permission to transcribe and post your "interpretation" of their song. This is what I do for an artist like Jake, James Hill, Aldrine, Craig Roberstson etc. Some of these artists might be planning on releasing their own book of transcriptions and may not want the songs out there available for free on the Internet. Jake has no problem with the fact that I transcribe a bunch of his arrangements, however, he doesn't want me to put them on my site as this is clearly a form of "mass distribution" which his management has issues with.

Getting their permission and input by sending them drafts also provides a means to produce an even better product in the end.

It sounds like you would like to share your work with others, as I do, and therefore getting permission would be the best thing to do. However, if you are just doing it for yourself to have as a reference for learning it again after you've forgotten it down the road then you don't need anyone's permission except your own.
    Dominator

Dominator Ukulele Tabs
    Dominator on MySpace
    Dominator on Youtube

Quote Originally Posted by Dominator View Post
    Because of the copyright issue I think it is good courtesy to contact the artist and ask for permission to transcribe and post your "interpretation" of their song. This is what I do for an artist like Jake, James Hill, Aldrine, Craig Roberstson etc. Some of these artists might be planning on releasing their own book of transcriptions and may not want the songs out there available for free on the Internet. Jake has no problem with the fact that I transcribe a bunch of his arrangements, however, he doesn't want me to put them on my site as this is clearly a form of "mass distribution" which his management has issues with.

Getting their permission and input by sending them drafts also provides a means to produce an even better product in the end.

It sounds like you would like to share your work with others, as I do, and therefore getting permission would be the best thing to do. However, if you are just doing it for yourself to have as a reference for learning it again after you've forgotten it down the road then you don't need anyone's permission except your own.

Thanks for the clarification Dom. I'll do that if I continue to work on transcriptions in the future.

By the way, I knew that you had already tabbed out the live version, but I wanted to try learning it by tabbing it myself this time I used to do alot more transcribing when there wasn't any uke material online, but thanks to you I can save some time learning new material. Thanks Dom!

ahh that sucks.. ohh well, i wanted to learn this song.. but i cant get the 1st tapping part correct... any tips??

Quote Originally Posted by davoomac View Post
    Thanks for the clarification Dom. I'll do that if I continue to work on transcriptions in the future.

By the way, I knew that you had already tabbed out the live version, but I wanted to try learning it by tabbing it myself this time I used to do alot more transcribing when there wasn't any uke material online, but thanks to you I can save some time learning new material. Thanks Dom!

That's cool bro.

Quote Originally Posted by UkuLeLesReggAe View Post
    ahh that sucks.. ohh well, i wanted to learn this song.. but i cant get the 1st tapping part correct... any tips??
    If its hard to figure out the fast notes, try slowing down the play speed of the video or audio. Thats what I do. It helps to watch it over and over and over too.

Quote Originally Posted by UkuLeLesReggAe View Post
    Those interested in learning this song should read between the lines and contact me via email (outside of UU).
    Dominator

Dominator Ukulele Tabs
    Dominator on MySpace
    Dominator on Youtube

Thread Information