D and E chords.

GKK

Reaction score
On the Chord charts, it shows the D and E chords played with the top 3 strings covered and one bottom string covered on the fret but, on a lot of instructional video's they say to just cover the top 3 strings.

It's a lot easier to just cover the top 3 strings on these two chords but, I noticed if I cover the bottom string too, the D or E chord changes also. What is the proper way to play these two chords? Thanks

The D is played with the 1st (A) string open. The E just moves the D up two frets and adds the B note on the second fret of the 1st. string. You can see that moving the E back down two frets moves the B note back beyond the nut. Get a copy of "Treasury of Ukulele Chords" by Roy Sakuma and you will never have to ask another chord form question.

The D shape can be 2220 or 2225 and the E shape can be 4442 or 4447.

The D shape can be 2220 or 2225 and the E shape can be 4442 or 4447.

Look at this shape 2225 and you will see it is the "C" shape moved up a full step.
At 4447 it is an "E" at 5558 it is an "F"
I find it easier to barre with the index finger and use the pinky on the 1st string.

BTW,
2224 is a "Dmaj7", 2223 is a "D7" and 2222 is a "D6"
And at the 3rd fret these are all from the "Eb" family.

Yeah, I find the 2225 and 4447 versions of these chords to be the easiest to play. You just barre the second or fourth fret (that is, you cover all four strings all at the same time with just your index finger). Then you add on the note on the first string with your pinkie. Much easier for me that trying to jam a bunch of fingers on the same fret.

JJ

And I agree with lkdumas *and all the other threads about chord books)--Roy Sakuma is king! Lovey, lifelong book.

Try 1402 for your E instead?

2655 for the D might be easier too.

Inversions, but whatcha gonna do on a 4-string?

The real key is one word:

Practice.

It gets easier, it gets more comfortable with practice. What seems odd, awkward and even painful today will be automatic in a few months. Just keep trying, don't stop, don't give up. One day you'll wonder what the fuss was all about.

(PS. A glass of wine does wonders when it gets frustrating...)

It depends on what piece you are playing, but I am just beginning to find it is sometimes easier to play the barred chords on D, D7, E and E7. Give it a try.

I haven't seen it mentioned here so I will say it
Get a second soprano and give it the older a D F# B tuning (this is the tuning for a ukulele you will see on all of the older music book and most of the German music books and it is the case on some sopranos that it gives a better tone)
with this tuning the D chord shape becomes an E (the A a G and so on) this tuning has its difficult chords too but for songs played in a Key that uses a lot of E chords this tuning usually works out ok Alternativly get a capo (but that doesn't give you the excuse to get a second Ukulele)

And I agree with lkdumas *and all the other threads about chord books)--Roy Sakuma is king! Lovey, lifelong book.

Petey's recommendation re movable chords is what I learned in a workship taught by Guido Heistek yesterday. I haven't used my pinky much up until now. So now it's time to pay my dues.

Petey's recommendation re movable chords is what I learned in a workship taught by Guido Heistek yesterday. I haven't used my pinky much up until now. So now it's time to pay my dues.

Watching Petey was the biggest help to me for D and E. I'm still pretty slow but it does sound like the chord!

The D is played with the 1st (A) string open. The E just moves the D up two frets and adds the B note on the second fret of the 1st. string. You can see that moving the E back down two frets moves the B note back beyond the nut. Get a copy of "Treasury of Ukulele Chords" by Roy Sakuma and you will never have to ask another chord form question.

Thanks for your post. I ordered Sakuma's book. I have some different chord books and charts, but none has them all so I'm looking forward to being able to have all the chords in one place.

Regarding using an E7 "usually, or generally" in the place an E? Not so! Sorry. Depends on the key or the purpose of the chord. Using E7, a dominant chord, where a dominant chord doesn't belong will sound awful.

doug

Regarding using an E7 "usually, or generally" in the place an E? Not so! Sorry. Depends on the key or the purpose of the chord. Using E7, a dominant chord, where a dominant chord doesn't belong will sound awful.

doug

Ditto, but in a pinch, you gotta do something. Eventually, though, you'll have to pay the piper and learn the appropriate chord FWIW

Top Bottom