having trouble chucking/chunking

dip.mojica

Reaction score
any tips? I've watched several videos and still have a little bi of trouble with it. I keep hitting the top of the ukulele with my finger. does it all just get better with practice? Thanks!

I am a beginner but can 'chunk' or 'cut' since I play the guitar. Try a simple down up down up in strumming and then replace the second down with a cut- down up chunk up.

Did you see this vid?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZxOof50iqk&feature=related

Can someone teach you in real life? That might help. I'm right handed and use the pinky side of my hand- the fleshy part to dampen the strings.

And- after watching the above vid I noticed that Arron uses his other side of his hand- the fleshy part of his thumb side of his hand. Maybe you can try both and see which works best.

alright, thanks! I'll keep trying. I might just need to practice. I've only had my ukulele for a couple of days :p

I go with the fleshy underside of my thumb too - works for me

I make a really loose fist and just hit the string. Practice a lot and you will get it down in no time.

When I was first playing I strummed with my thumb, as soon as I switched to strumming with my index finger chunking got a lot easier.

Funny cuz I tried chunking with my thumb side of my hand an am finding it very difficult! ;)

Whatever method you decide to try, practice it really slowly at first, and repeat it over and over. Build up your speed as you feel it is getting automatic. It takes a certain amount of perfect practice runs before it gets into your muscle memory. This will take awhile, so don't expect miracle right away. Expect to work on it several days, with multiple practice sessions each day. Once you have it, you won't have to think about it. I roll the flesh part of my thumb into the strings, and that seems pretty natural.

–Lori

Yes, It's tricky! So is the Reggae strum.

I exploded my fingers over the strings when I was learning and the part of the hand coming from the pinky to the wrist started muting the strings. Only way I can successfully chuck.

Top Bottom