NAILS! Do you grow them?

All my nails are short, cause I wear contact lenses.
I don't like to poke in one of my eye's with a long fingernail...:eek:

i grow my thumb index and middle and just like that one dude my index seems to always break and look deformed and...yeah it just broke -_- now i gotta start all 3 over again

haha i cant help it, like im a girl with freaking long finger nails.
its good for one hand, but for like my left hand its a pain haha.
these claws of mine grow so fast too
ahhh this sounds so gross, but yeah its true.

titoboy... thanks for the tip... ill give that a try to see if it strengthens my nails. i noticed that i never have to worry about my thumbail because its so thick and strong. i have a habit of pushing back my thumb cuticles with my index finger for some reason. so i guess that actually works!

on the other hand... im wondering how you know so much about nail care hmmm? hmmmmmm??? hahaha just kiddin. :p

fred... i had more than 5 coats on. hahaha

hahaha, aldrine told me about filing the nails and i was a temp dept manager for health and beauty at my work place! so yea , i know some stuffs!

i use a pick. i cut my nails on my right hand so i can tap the frets on my electric guitar.

i dont care about my left hand. the nails are very short for fretting.

the right hand i just file for about nearly 2 years now, and i feel very good with it.
all nails are as long as the fingers. this is enogh to get the right "kick" in the tone. don't need longer nails.
the thumbnail is 1-2 mm longer as the thumb. this is the right lenght i think for a good play and a good tremolo-thumb-picking

nails are not too round and not too spikey. i care that they are smooth (bottom and topside) for a good gliding over the strings.

i only grow my right thumb and index nails....
but i know a couple ppl who use fake nails...

i tried acrylics once because all my nails broke a day before a gig and i hated it! i paid $30 and was promised that it wouldn't break off, but it did half way into the gig.

i tried acrylics once because all my nails broke a day before a gig and i hated it! i paid $30 and was promised that it wouldn't break off, but it did half way into the gig.

How do the fake nails perform while they are on your fingers? did they fall off because you were rockin out hardcore?

How do the fake nails perform while they are on your fingers? did they fall off because you were rockin out hardcore?

the acrylics feel like alaskan finger picks but more expensive and no it was a wedding,nothing but love songs!

Personally only grow out my thumb nail a little. But I play with my thumb,index and middle instead of hitting down with the nail I pick up i feel that its better for me.

Two words; Nutra Nail.

...'plus green tea antioxidants' for the picky.

As you'd expect, the stuff is like a polish (goes on glossy and a bit gunky), but the whole focus of it is to seep into your nails and strengthen them. And it does.

And for those who fear of looking fruity by having the stuff, it isn't pink with flours. It's a clear white bottle with a logo on it. (You'll only look girly when putting it on and waving them around / blowing on them to dry.)

While it takes a while for the length of the nail to noticably strengthen to that of, say, your toenails, you'll notice that the nailbeds are much stronger after the first use. Just put a thin coat on, let dry, add a second thin coat, and repeat every other day.

Now, I won't lie; it'll make your nails look glossy. And yes, it IS possible to peel the gunky stuff off your nail. But fortunately, that's only if you REALLY try to do so, and it hasn't come off my nails on my strings from strumming so far. It'll just feel a little waxy to the touch, but suprisingly hard.

So yeah. Do youy nails a favor, and give yourself a MAAAAAAAAANicure. And paint them pink if you're so inclined to do so as well. (I don't judge.)

---edit---

By-the-way, this is mostly for those who always clip/bite their nails, and they are completely brittle and weak when grown out. Though I'm sure those with gorilla-nails wouldn't mind trying it as well.

Last edited:

I grow my nails (right thumb, index, middle) when I can, but mine hook downward and it's hard to straighten them.

One pro I knew showed me what to do: I use fake NYLON nails (acrylic breaks and nylon sounds better anyway; that's why they make picks out of it). I'll superglue them on and file them to where I want them, play the gig, then dissolve them off with acetone. I never had any trouble with that other than the glue and acetone sometimes making my fingers sore and my nails look like crud from the quick, amateur hack job.

Natural is healthier and I hate the nylon gluing thing, but if I have to sound good...

I cut my left hand short for fretting and try and grow my right hand... but it doesn't always work out too well. Interestingly enough, when I put on those DIY fake nails I could strum/pick so much better. So that is always an option! But not a great one for guys :p

I cut my left hand short, and try to have pretty long nails on my thumb for picking, and medium long nails on my pointer finger I like that for strumming, think it makes it a bit easier to get a good sound.

Nope. I do enough damage to the finish on my uke as it is, because I'm a furious strummer. If I had long nails on my strumming hand, I'd tear another soundhole in my uke!

The idea of owning an instrument with a glossy finish is terrifying to me. It'll look like crap in a matter of minutes.

The old musician's joke: "I started playing the guitar so I could get girls, and I ended up talking to other grown men about fingernail care."

Top Bottom