Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: NAILS! Do you grow them?

My right hand fingernails were almost an inch long until it got ugly so I cut it
    Hilo Soprano
    Lanikai LU-21C
    Oscar Schmidt OU7T

I'm just beginning to use picking, so I think I'll teach myself to do without the nail(s). If and when I get to the level of some of you guys are playing at I'll make that call then.

God forbid someone should question my nail length. Currently I'd be hard pressed to justify longer nails. They might ask to hear me play!
    HARMONY MAHOGANY CONCERT KALA KOA CONCERT
    KALA PINEAPPLE PRINT SOPRANO FAKE MARTIN BARITONE

"My people are the people of the dessert", said T.E. Lawrence, picking up his fork.

I'm playing without nails (even guitar and, of course, lute) works fine on the uke too...
    V.

The right hand nails don't have to be too long. 1/8 inch is plenty. Keep the left hand trimmed short though. Nails get in the way of fretting the strings. I found that longer nails are subject to breaking and tearing, which is not good.

–Lori

the only time I've had to worry about how long my nails have been is when I'm using my right hand to fret and I need to pick with the fingers I'm not using to fret, like if I'm picking some notes on G2 C(12) E3 A (12) and I need to do some pick on those top 12's I need nails to get a clean pick. Of course some people like the sound of nail picking too but meh. You can get fake nails at most larger guitar stores, I can never grow mine out to any decent length

i heard somebody say super glue.
    “Awesomeness is always an option”

Youtube

I have very weak nails, they break really easily. The problem is that I struggle to pick without them. I found a grea product by Sally Hanson called Hard as Nails. Only problem is that it is glossy, so I have three glossy nails on my right hand. But, it really works. Makes the nails super strong.

Quote Originally Posted by Tucunaré View Post
    I have very weak nails, they break really easily. The problem is that I struggle to pick without them. I found a grea product by Sally Hanson called Hard as Nails. Only problem is that it is glossy, so I have three glossy nails on my right hand. But, it really works. Makes the nails super strong.
    It works great, thanks. I live and work with children with disabilities so there is a lot of outdoor activites and work. This stuff makes your nails mega strong. get the "Hard as Wraps" version.
    “Awesomeness is always an option”

Youtube

Aachen, Germany (As exciting as an empty parking-lot!)

I keep the nails on my right hand longer. I cut the white part of the nail down to about 2 mm. It is enough to ensure that they don't break easily and they don't get in the way of everyday work. Also 2 mm is enough for me to fingerpick nicely.
    I have some felt picks but don't know really how to use them. Using my fingers for playing seems to be more natural... Have you ever tried using a felt pick?

I cut the nails on my left hand very short, since - as being said here - longer nails get in the way when fretting. Especially when you fret chords that require all 4 fingers on the lower fretboard.
    "Nine of ten voices in my head are telling me I'm insane. One is humming a Bruddha Iz tune."
    "You better learn to love the rain, because it could be raining for a while." (Buzz Aldrin's shrink)

Mugambismonkey: Ukulele Originals
    Mugambisuke: Ukulele Covers

I just saw something on a guitar store's site that was nail filing paper. What's that all about?

Thread Information