Ukulele Acquisition Syndrome (UAS)

PhilUSAFRet

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
As a retired addictions counselor, I started working on a good scientific definition for, and the principles of recovery from, UAS. It dawned on me very soon that very few ukers would give a damn, soooooooo.......

HAPPY UKE SHOPPING!

The cure is a custom uke with all the features you ever wanted in one place.

.... but one day, it'll bite again. You get out of rehab, get back on the block, hang out with the same peer group, and they tell you, hey one more uke won't matter! And then you're hooked again!

They said I had to go to rehab and I said NO NO NO....I just went to eBay!

I think the only way to recover from UAS is to go cold turkey; completely rid yourself of anything uke related. But, I'm sure we can agree that's even worse than UAS.

I think everyone should quit. So I can finally get some deals on eBay. LOL

Last count, I had over 25 instruments around my house. Banjos, bagpipes, piano, various orchestral instuments, brass, woodwind, guitars (acoustic and electric), and a couple of Ukuleles. I'm an equal opportunity obsessive.

They said I had to go to rehab and I said NO NO NO....I just went to eBay!

The 12 step plan is the only path to peace.

1. Step 1 - admit you have UAS
  2. Steps 2-11 - buy 12 ukes & repeat at step #1

Mahalo!

There is no escape! As soon as you start playing a uke, you are prone to catching UAS.

My wife posed the question (after me telling her about my upcoming 4th Uke purchase) "why do you need another Uke?" I reminded her of the one (of many) Harley Davidson Tee shirts she had purchased for me that was imprinted with "If you have to ask, you wouldn't understand!" She now understands!

Last edited:
But, It's Not UAS if You're Doing It for a Good Cause, Right?

I mean, I'm teaching uke to kids in a low-income neighborhood now.

And 5 of the soprano ukes were donated by sponsors.

So I've only really purchased 3 by myself.

And 2 is really ok.

So only 1 is really an issue. Right?

Except, um, that Makala color tenor that just, um jumped into my eBay cart from MGM's store ...

*lies down, acknowledges the denial and the addiction, and then gives up going out to dinner and movies for 3 months*

After 11 ukes ranging from Dolphins to Kamakas, I thought i had this uas under control. Then I bought a soprano banjolele by Lanikai. A whole nuther road to explore. This rollacoaster ride will never end.

I'll stop at two, promise ;) well... until I get the desire for an Eleuke... or painting myself a flea soundboard... or a Moore Bettah... other than those... I'll stop at 2 ;)

Question: Do multiple uke purchasers have marriage problems?

Answer: Yes, but statistically they have no more marriage problems than single uke purchasers or non-uke purchasers. ;)

We are the Borg!
Resistance is futile,
Prepare to be assimil........
...... Oooooo, flamed Koa!!!!!!!!

There is no possible excuse for owning more than one ukulele. Well, let me see, if I were to break a string in the middle of a session, it would take ages to fit a new one, and then it wouldn't hold tune for hours on end - so, I need another for emergencies. Oh, and I like to leave a cheapie in the car, so I can play anywhere I go.

I only play sopranos, therefore, that's it - THREE - maximum.

What I can't figure out is why there are a dozen ukulele cases stacked on top of my bedroom cabinet, and a few more scattered about the place.

Top Bottom