Thread: better uke between $200 and $300

Default better uke between $200 and $300

When I am ready to upgrade to a better uke, I am wondering what you would recommend in the $200-$300 range for a soprano. I like the warmer sound of mahogany, but am open to suggestions. Is the Kala acacia good in this range? Something in solid wood is what I am looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by mandrew View Post
    When I am ready to upgrade to a better uke, I am wondering what you would recommend in the $200-$300 range for a soprano. I like the warmer sound of mahogany, but am open to suggestions. Is the Kala acacia good in this range? Something in solid wood is what I am looking for.
    I would strongly suggest that you investigate the Ohana SK38. It's a new Martin 2 clone.

What are you playing now? Because for a little under $200 you can get an Ohana Sk35. In my opinion, I had to jump to a Kiwaya KTS4 at $400+ to see an improvement over that Ohana.

Another option is to look for a vintage uke. A Martin and Gibson will be out of your price range, but you can and will see a Favilla or a Gretsch in the $250-$300 range. I bought one of each in the last 3 months, and both were at that price point, both have no cracks in the body and both are mahogany dreamboats!
    My Soprano Empire:
    VINTAGE MARTINS: c.'48 Martin 0
    OTHER VINTAGE: c30s Blue Favilla, c50 TV Pal, 30s Redhead
    MODERN MARTINS: OXK; 2012 2M
    KAMAKA: 2010 Pineapple (RIP MGM)

My Baritone Empire:
    '12 Kala KA-B, '69 Silvertone, c.'53-57 Favilla, c.'63 Martin, '11 Kamaka

STRUMTESTS//ADD to The STRING DATABASE and UKE CASE DATABASE // Take the NAME THAT MARTIN test.

I have a Kala solid mahogany concert that, with Aquila strings, has a very warm tone. I paid about $230 plus tax for it about 16 months ago. I haven't tried the soprano version of this ukulele, but I'm very happy with the concert I have.

You may want to look into Mainland ukuleles.

They have an exceptionally good reputation and a large following here.

They are solid wood and can be had in the low end on your price range.

John

PS... the Cedar top Rosewood are very impressive.
    Last edited by 70sSanO; 02-21-2011 at 04:39 PM. Reason: Added PS

Lots of good choices. Ohana and Mainland's mahogany sopranos, Pono's mahogany soprano in satin,Big Island's mahogany soprano all seem to be good choices for what you are looking for.
    Quote Originally Posted by mandrew View Post

"It's not on a map, it's right on your lap" ~ Sailor Jim

UkeRepublic.com
    FaceBook Fan Page
    YouTube Channel

+1 Mainland - beautiful looking and constructed ukes with a lovely chiming sound
    The GOT A UKULELE REVIEWS DATABASE!

www.gotaukulele.com - uke reviews, songs, tips & tricks for beginners!

Help Support Got A Ukulele!

Ukes include (!) Kanile'a K1 Tenor, Tinguitar custom solid tenor, Fluke, Flea, Kamaka HF-1, Koaloha KTM-00, Tinguitar Reclaimed Mahogany soprano

Thread Information