Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gripmaster hand/finger strengthener - any good?

Default Gripmaster hand/finger strengthener - any good?

I am considering getting a gripmaster hand/finger strengthener to help quickly get some more strength and control into my fingers for uke play as they are pretty weak at the moment. Has anyone used them and are they any good? For those that have used them I'd be interested to know which strength you went for, I'm considering a red or blue one.

Website is here if you want to find out more about them: http://www.thegripmaster.co.uk/

I have a couple of pianist friends who nearly wrecked their hands using these.

If you get one, use it cautiously or you can really stress your tendons.

I bought some for strengthening my fingers for my bass playing.

I gave myself tendonitis (us?) and couldnt do anything with my left hand for weeks.

I would forget using them unless your very carefull.
    4 finger + 4 strings = Music
    4 fingers + 6 strings = Noise

dude...
    dnt do it....
    *fingerz aching*
    dont waste ur hard irnd kash on dem tingz...
    dont
    *ouch*

he iz da bess presadent evah

sounds like a torture device.

might as well buy one of these
    - Chuck
    I spend too much time YouTubing.

Some people recommend just squeezing a tennis ball or stress ball. Sounds like a better idea to me, since you can position it in your hand however it's comfortable and you can still work on individual fingers.

I have a couple and they DO work. However they DO stress the tendons and you CAN hurt yourself. In the end....the more you play the stronger your hands get.
    Haha. No, your mother plays a "mini guitar". This is an ooo kooo le le. Can u say that with me?.....

If used correctly thyey're not bad. But I recommend heavy strings.
    If you have two ukes put the heaviest gauge strings you can find then put them on. Practice on that then when you play the other with light strings it'll feel like butter.

Or if you have only one uke just do the same thing but keep playing with the heavy strings untill you can play for hours without any soreness. Then switch back to lighter strings it'll be the same efffect.

Quote Originally Posted by TokyoUketarist View Post
    If used correctly thyey're not bad. But I recommend heavy strings.
    If you have two ukes put the heaviest gauge strings you can find then put them on. Practice on that then when you play the other with light strings it'll feel like butter.

Or if you have only one uke just do the same thing but keep playing with the heavy strings untill you can play for hours without any soreness. Then switch back to lighter strings it'll be the same efffect.
    Playing is the best way to do it but this is a good way to build up strength when having a ukulele in your hand is not optimal....As long as you don't over do it and hurt yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by deach View Post
    Playing is the best way to do it but this is a good way to build up strength when having a ukulele in your hand is not optimal....As long as you don't over do it and hurt yourself.
    Just looking at your avatar makes me want to pull out my "gripmaster". Don't worry, I wont over do it and hurt myself.

Thread Information