Buzzing mystery

banjoprat

Reaction score
First of all say hello! is my first post.
I just finished an Ukelele, not the first one that I have made but I'm having a buzzing problem that I haven't had before, Th uke Buzz on the two middle strings (2,3) from fret 1 to 7, the buzz I think that comes from the bridge area so I checked the saddle and make it as round as possible on the top but the buzz still there, any help!

I wish I had an answer for you - unfortunately, I'm having the exact same problem (same strings and frets) with a tenor that I just built. I've concluded that it is an internal buzz (something loose inside the body) rather than a string buzzing on a high fret
You'll note that the strings and frets affected are the lowest frequency notes on the uke (assuming you have a "high" G string).
I've tried dribbling super glue down the edges of the fan braces on the top and around the bridge plate area. Didn't make a difference. It's winter dry at my house and I'm hoping higher humidity will swell things up a bit and make a positive difference.

i have a similar problem with my kala flame maple tenor. I contacted the seller. fortunatly he's pretty local and he'd going to take a look at it.

I'm not sure that is not a frets problem but I feel that is something inside of the body. but after to try several things like:
-Change strings
-Tune it half step higher
-Rise the saddle
-Press the string stronger
The buzz still there.
Just right know I tried another thing that make me think that although the frets seems to be flat. I checked it with a rule several times. If I place a 3mm brass rod in place of the fret makeing the action extremely higher the buzz disappers, but once more when I check it with a rule the frets and fretboard is flat.

Check for flatness across the fretboard...and check to see if the neck is twisted or not.

Last edited:
If the buzzing sound is only coming when you fret the strings up to the 7th fret my gut feeling is fret buzz. Though I have had one uke cross my work bench that had a saddle that wasn't sitting in a nice flat saddle slot. That one took some time to track down. Only buzzed on the A string. I flattened the saddle bottom and would get it to stop for awhile, but it would come back. Finally ended up making a jig to route the slot again with a nice clean flat bottom.

If the buzzing sound is only coming when you fret the strings up to the 7th fret my gut feeling is fret buzz. Though I have had one uke cross my work bench that had a saddle that wasn't sitting in a nice flat saddle slot. That one took some time to track down. Only buzzed on the A string. I flattened the saddle bottom and would get it to stop for awhile, but it would come back. Finally ended up making a jig to route the slot again with a nice clean flat bottom.
I will check it, I just realise that the saddle slot is not flat and on the sides is deeper, I can see some gap between the bone and the "bridge".

Top Bottom