Self-Examination Tool for Ukulele Proficiency

Uncle Rod Higuchi

Reaction score
This is a SET-UP, lol :D - just for fun.

Still consider yourself a 'Beginner'? :confused:

Play through the following Chord Sheet, left to right, top to bottom, 4 times.

FIRST time - 4 strums per chord
SECOND time - 3 strums per chord
THIRD time - 2 strums per chord
FOURTH time - 1 strum per chord... end with C.

Set your own tempo and try NOT to 'break your stride'. Your eventual GOAL would be
1-2 strums per second.

If you can play through the chord sheet without breaking your stride/tempo, especially
at 1-2 strums per second, do NOT label yourself a 'Beginner'.

Hand someone a properly-tuned ukulele and ask them to play through the chord sheet.
If they can do it at an even tempo without interruption, how can you call them a
'Beginner'? :D

CHORD SHEET:

C Am F G7 C F C A7

D Bm G A7 D G D C7

F Dm Bb C7 F Bb F D7

G Em C D7 G C G E7

A F#m D E7 A D A G7 (return to top) / (last time end with C)

Enjoy and Keep Uke'in',

Last edited:
I tried, but keep getting stuck on some chords...I'm still a beginner!

This is one of my favorite exercises.
It will really improve your chord transitions.
The one thing to add is while you are getting the chords under your fingers, be sure to listen to the change.
If you can get the progression(s) under your fingers and in your ears you will be surprised how quickly you will be playing new songs without a printed page in front of you.

I will be practicing this exercise diligently. Thanks, Uncle Rod!

This is like your Boot Camp...Uncle Rod!!

Thanks Uncle Rod, you're one of the reasons the uke and UU are the best places to be:) You don't have to give a hoot how well we play, but you do. I'll try this tonight. Thanks,

DAP

This is going to keep me busy for quite awhile. Thanks for all you do to make us better Uke players

Thanks for the nice words, fellow UUers!

I submitted this thread for two reasons:

1 - to encourage those who may still think that they haven't been making any progress in their attempt to learn to play the ukulele.

2 - to give beginners something to practice, accomplish, and master.

If you want more practice sheets, please click on my Boot Camp link below the picture of the Uncle Rod ukulele in my signature below.

Enjoy, and keep uke'in',

Bb gets me every stinkin time. We hates the B-flatsins! I still can't do any sort of barred chord.
Thanks so much for sharing your wisdom through UU and Boot Camp. You rock.

I'm currently working on the Boot Camp series now (wonderful resource, btw) and my toughie is the Fm6 chord. Using the the first finger to barre fret one seems impossible to do cleanly due to the higher string tension so close to the nut. Here's how I'm trying it:

1st fret: 1111
2nd fret: 0200
3rd fret: 0003

Now I feel even more feeble. :p

Hi Uncle Rod, and thanks for posting the exercise.

I've been doing a bit of practice with the 'boot camp' exercises and making steady progress. Great wisdom in those pages Uncle, especially the bit about not watching the fingers of the left hand. That has been a big help.

So, the self-examination tool for beginners looks pretty easy in comparison, doesn't it? No really mind bending chords among them. Should be pretty easy.

I'm still a beginner Uncle. First I had to look up F#m. I couldn't remember it. Of course, when I saw it I was embarrassed - of course, I know that one! So I did the strumming through, and had a bit of trouble making clean changes with some of the chords. I reckon another month or six weeks and I will pass the beginners self-test. Do I get a medal when I pass?? ;)

Also, do you have any tips to get over performance anxiety? I started out not caring what I sound like and who heard it. I had just picked up the instrument after all. Now I just freeze up and forget anything I know as soon as I turn on a video camera or try to demonstrate what I can do for friends and family.

I am thinking I will boycott Bm. Someday I will master Bb. I will master those pesky movable chords. But Bm? It doesn't even have a nice symbol.

Now, now... make friends with E. a

After that everything else will be a piece of cake... except FM7 (shivers). lol : )

Keep uke'in',

Top Bottom