The Low G-String

A low G string works better for me on finger picking and when trying to follow the melody. Since the tone is lower, it will not be as resonate on a smaller uke. I have bought 2 ukes that came with low G's, both tenors. For just strumming, the high G sounds more "normal" because that's what the vast majority of ukes come with and what I have mostly heard. Most tab is written for high G, so if you are playing from tab it will often sound wrong. I also suggest you try it and see what you like.

Baritone in standard tuning

"The Baritone ukulele does not have this issue as it is strung with a Low D."
My baritone ukulele is very difficult for me to play, having been spoiled by a concert uke. so is it safe to assume that I can set the baritone up in low g, c, e, a tuning and play it like a large tenor? And are strings of that sort available?

You sure can. I have a baritone in standard GCEA tuning (high G), which works fine; a more or less traditional "ukie" sound, but loud... Aquila have a special GCEA set for the baritone, I think it is 23U. However, for the baritone DGBE also works very well I think. But for me, a beginner just getting to gripe with the "normal" chords, it is difficult to connect the correct baritone chords with the finger positions...

I've been getting used to a low G over the past few months and it's amazing how much it changes the instrument. It opens a lot of potential for arrangements of chords, but it sounds less ukey. If you want to do more than just strum, it certainly adds possibilities. I've been won over by it, but now I need a good backup uke for re-entrant tuning so I can have access to both.

I have a baritone strung with Southcoast linear [low g], and it sounds great. when fingerpicking. I really don't like the sound when strummed. It seems that the longer the scale, the better w/ low G. imho

I'm running Low G on my Mainland Tenor and love it - prefer it. Now I need a Concert strung high G, LOL!

since it's been tuned lowG (+/-4years) i've never stopped bringing my uke everywhere along, played it almost everyday, with intense satysfaction... whereas it kind of stayed on the shelf before as ''nice and friendly little exotic toy''...

I usually use ''normal classical D string'' (savarez, often) and never really noticed a great difference compared to the ''special lowG strings'' from aquilla from instance, do you guys really do?

i've also tried non wonded low G (with Worth brown) but never got used to it, too week, off tune, too slack...

personnal taste I guess

I noticed a big difference. Until my worth set came (I also ordered an extra Aquila low G to match my spare strings), I was running a classical guitar nylon G string. It just sounded "off". It didn't match the tone and sound of the other strings. It stuck out like a sore thumb...so much so, that I thought thats what it was supposed to sound like, and if so, I was going to return the strings, and just keep it High G.

But, I tried the new strings anyway, and it was nothing like that at all. The Low G that came with the Worth strings blended perfectly with the other strings, and together the strings worked together to create a very even sound. The Low G did not stand out on its own at all.

While I owned the Ohana SK-70 soprano, I had it strung with a low G. For some reason, I always seemed to reach for it then. Then I traded it off and decided to keep my SK-35G with a high G. That caused me to start reaching for the Lanikia ST tenor with the low G. Yesterday, I put a low G back on the SK-35 and played it happily for hours and hours last night. Maybe I am just a low G man. I do like to finger pick.

I play a tenor with a D'Addario wound classical guitar string for my low G. I love it. I buy my strings individually off of JustStrings.com.

I am a salesman for one of the largest music chains in the world and I try and help new ukulele buyers. I am a huge fan of Low G strings. On some of the websites you can place ukulele string and pick one up for about $1.99 for just that string to sample. I have shown off my ukuleles and it is great to see peoples reaction to the bassier notes you can play.

I usually use ''normal classical D string'' (savarez, often) and never really noticed a great difference compared to the ''special lowG strings'' from aquilla from instance, do you guys really do?

I also tried Savares D strings, Light and Normal tensions without much success, at least with Aquillas or Worth Clear, the low G seems louder than the other strings when strumming.

I even tried that on my LU21 and switch back to high G.

:(

I played one of HaoleJohn's tenors earlier this week and he had HiLo strings on it, with a low G. The low G on the HiLo set was wound so fine that I didn't even know it was wound. The 3rd string is also wound on this set. I'm going to try a set because they were definitely less harsh on my spruce top than the Aquilas.

I'm a beginner so maybe I'm missing something but, if you like both high and low G wouldn't an 8 string tenor solve the problem? (I wouldn't know since I've never heard one played)

I'm a beginner so maybe I'm missing something but, if you like both high and low G wouldn't an 8 string tenor solve the problem? (I wouldn't know since I've never heard one played)

No because the 8 strings are not spaced far enough apart. They are in courses, which are 4 groups of 2 closely spaced strings, so that you play them at the same time. The thing many of us like about the low G (or high G) is being able to pluck it separately, not just strum it.

I loved the Low-G string so much on my Tenor, I tried it on my Concert - LOVE IT!

Forgive me if this is a really dumb question:

Is it straightforward to use an electronic tuner when your uke's strung with a Low G?

Top Bottom