Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Low G-String

Default The Low G-String

Hey Mates!

I have a Question about the low G-String. I've been playing the Ukulele for quite a while now, and recently I've been thinking about a Low-G-String, witch is recommended a lot in this Forum. I was at a shop today, to ask about it, but the Salesman sad it would only sound terrible if i try a low G-String, and he hates it. Now i wanted to ask if he's right (I hope not) and if not, what kind of string woud be the best to use. I have a Baton Rouge U4T-CE Tenor Ukulele.
    I'd be glad for some tips

Thanks

Seskahin

Sounds to me like the salesman misunderstood your question and thought you asked his personal opinion of the low G String.

My understanding is that the High g gives you the traditional ukulele sound. I am switching to a low G string on my concert for fingerpicking and to find out what I parsonally think of the low g. This has been discussed a bit lately. I am a beginner but purchased Worth medium tension clear with a low g. They were one of the recommendations made on the forum. Search the topic because there are some issues with the low g string being too thick for the nut that you may want to consider. Good luck
    RoxHum

"Music self-played is happiness self-made"

Sopranos: Donaldson (Myrtle), Kamaka (Koa), 2 Mainland's (Cedar/Rosewood & Mahogany),
    Nahenahe (Mahogany) (Thank you Stan)
    Concert: Mainland Classic Mahogany (low G)
    and one flashy white and gold Titano accordion

I love the sound of low G and my main players are all strung that way. I've been all over the map trying out low G string options and keep going back to Worth browns. I do have some Fremonts coming to give a try.

Spend the bucks (and become really proficient at changing out strings) to explore the low G world. Won't know till you try!

Good luck.

Hey Seskahin, I'll say it first, "The salesman is an idiot!" to discourage you from checking out low g tuning. I am looking forward to trying it myself. From the posts here, it is a personal choice, and sounds better on some songs than others. Many people have at least one uke that has a low G. Try it, what have you got to lose? Strings are inexpensive and easy to change. If you try it and don't like it, you're out maybe $10.00. This is my opinion,
    DAP
    Kala KA-TE
    Makala MK-T
    Kala KA-C (low G)
    Makala Dolphin-green burst

To high g or low g, that is the question.
    If Shakespere had played ukulele things may have been different.

It is all a preference. I personally like both and gives me a reason for at least two ukuleles.
    I even have the new Ohana 5 string for times when I can't decide.
    I like low g on tenors, I used low g on a concert and was less than thrilled, but others like the sound.
    High g gives you the traditional Hawaiian ukulele sound.
    My suggestion would be go and buy a classical guitar "D" string and put in on your tenor uke.
    If you like the sound you can experiment with other low g's.
    Keep Strummin'

I recently put Worth Browns on my Kala Tenor and went with a Low G. At first, it just didn't sound right to me. I put it away for a couple of days, and was pleasantly surprised by how much I like it. I'm trying to learn finger picking and I like the way the Low G sounds. I think it's worth (pun intended) giving it a try.
    --G

I didn't think I would like low G at all - most of the low G ukes I've heard were not especially pleasing to me. But then I heard one strung with Worths and liked it. Recently I put Fremont low G on one of my ukes, and while I wouldn't say I'm a convert, it's nice to have it as an option.

I second the motion....Salesman is an idiot. Saw this site somewhere in UU. Sure explained a lot to me. According to South Coast, the longer the scale uke, the better low g works/sounds.

http://www.southcoastukes.com/stringuide.htm
    Last edited by PhilUSAFRet; 05-06-2011 at 12:42 PM.
    Soooooo many ukes, sooooooo little time

Soprano: Pre-war Martin "O"; 81-82 Kamaka White Label; Grizzly kit;
    Concert: Pono MCD-E; Kala Reso-burst; Rally banjo; Bruce Wei Acacia teardrop; KPK acacia Cutaway; Mele Solid Mahogany 6 string; Ohana CM35-8 Taropatch; Goldtone Metal Resouke;
    Epiphone LP vintage burst; Asmus solid maple/spruce; Alida Jazz electric
    Tenor: Risa semi-hollowbody electric (red one); Mele Koa; Kala solid mahogany A/E cutaway

Bass: Oscar Schmidt Curley Maple;

I like the freemonts, but do a set i fyou do them. I tried just the low g with aquillas an never sounded right to me so I took it off. A while back I put on a full set an loved them, amazing difference to me. I agree on low g and tenors. Guess I have to buy another uke as I'd kinda like one strung both ways. Also wonder if maybe the type of wood etc prob. makes a difference I have a solid mahogany and I think it may resonate better at the lower freqs.

Quote Originally Posted by poppy View Post
    I like the freemonts, but do a set i fyou do them. I tried just the low g with aquillas an never sounded right to me so I took it off. A while back I put on a full set an loved them, amazing difference to me. I agree on low g and tenors. Guess I have to buy another uke as I'd kinda like one strung both ways. Also wonder if maybe the type of wood etc prob. makes a difference I have a solid mahogany and I think it may resonate better at the lower freqs.
    Tonewoods may make a difference, but the longer scale of a tenor is what I believe is the big factor.
    I tried low on a koa concert and was less than thrilled, but on the koa super concert the low g is great.
    I have several friends who tried low g on sopranos and thought it was just too overpowering.
    SO I guess it is another one of those elusive things we are searching for and personal preference.

ps, To call the salesman an idiot, may be a little harsh, after all his village may be searching for him.
    Keep Strummin'

Thread Information