The Low G-String

Seskahin

Reaction score
Hey Mates!

I have a Question about the low G-String. I've been playing the Ukulele for quite a while now, and recently I've been thinking about a Low-G-String, witch is recommended a lot in this Forum. I was at a shop today, to ask about it, but the Salesman sad it would only sound terrible if i try a low G-String, and he hates it. Now i wanted to ask if he's right (I hope not) and if not, what kind of string woud be the best to use. I have a Baton Rouge U4T-CE Tenor Ukulele.
I'd be glad for some tips

Thanks

Seskahin

Sounds to me like the salesman misunderstood your question and thought you asked his personal opinion of the low G String.

My understanding is that the High g gives you the traditional ukulele sound. I am switching to a low G string on my concert for fingerpicking and to find out what I parsonally think of the low g. This has been discussed a bit lately. I am a beginner but purchased Worth medium tension clear with a low g. They were one of the recommendations made on the forum. Search the topic because there are some issues with the low g string being too thick for the nut that you may want to consider. Good luck

I love the sound of low G and my main players are all strung that way. I've been all over the map trying out low G string options and keep going back to Worth browns. I do have some Fremonts coming to give a try.

Spend the bucks (and become really proficient at changing out strings) to explore the low G world. Won't know till you try!

Good luck.

Hey Seskahin, I'll say it first, "The salesman is an idiot!" to discourage you from checking out low g tuning. I am looking forward to trying it myself. From the posts here, it is a personal choice, and sounds better on some songs than others. Many people have at least one uke that has a low G. Try it, what have you got to lose? Strings are inexpensive and easy to change. If you try it and don't like it, you're out maybe $10.00. This is my opinion,
DAP

To high g or low g, that is the question.
If Shakespere had played ukulele things may have been different.

It is all a preference. I personally like both and gives me a reason for at least two ukuleles.
I even have the new Ohana 5 string for times when I can't decide.
I like low g on tenors, I used low g on a concert and was less than thrilled, but others like the sound.
High g gives you the traditional Hawaiian ukulele sound.
My suggestion would be go and buy a classical guitar "D" string and put in on your tenor uke.
If you like the sound you can experiment with other low g's.

I recently put Worth Browns on my Kala Tenor and went with a Low G. At first, it just didn't sound right to me. I put it away for a couple of days, and was pleasantly surprised by how much I like it. I'm trying to learn finger picking and I like the way the Low G sounds. I think it's worth (pun intended) giving it a try.
--G

I didn't think I would like low G at all - most of the low G ukes I've heard were not especially pleasing to me. But then I heard one strung with Worths and liked it. Recently I put Fremont low G on one of my ukes, and while I wouldn't say I'm a convert, it's nice to have it as an option.

I second the motion....Salesman is an idiot. Saw this site somewhere in UU. Sure explained a lot to me. According to South Coast, the longer the scale uke, the better low g works/sounds.

http://www.southcoastukes.com/stringuide.htm

Last edited:
I like the freemonts, but do a set i fyou do them. I tried just the low g with aquillas an never sounded right to me so I took it off. A while back I put on a full set an loved them, amazing difference to me. I agree on low g and tenors. Guess I have to buy another uke as I'd kinda like one strung both ways. Also wonder if maybe the type of wood etc prob. makes a difference I have a solid mahogany and I think it may resonate better at the lower freqs.

I like the freemonts, but do a set i fyou do them. I tried just the low g with aquillas an never sounded right to me so I took it off. A while back I put on a full set an loved them, amazing difference to me. I agree on low g and tenors. Guess I have to buy another uke as I'd kinda like one strung both ways. Also wonder if maybe the type of wood etc prob. makes a difference I have a solid mahogany and I think it may resonate better at the lower freqs.

Tonewoods may make a difference, but the longer scale of a tenor is what I believe is the big factor.
I tried low on a koa concert and was less than thrilled, but on the koa super concert the low g is great.
I have several friends who tried low g on sopranos and thought it was just too overpowering.
SO I guess it is another one of those elusive things we are searching for and personal preference.

ps, To call the salesman an idiot, may be a little harsh, after all his village may be searching for him.

Thank you so mutch for your Answers guys :)

I'm on the way to buy a classical Guitar "D" String as Suggested and I will try the tuning later that day!

I have a low G on my tenor, but not on my concerts or sopranos. To me it does not sound so great on a soprano. I tried it on the soprano and was disappointed with it. It was on a dolphin and it ripped the darn tuning machine off the headstock too as I used a wound string. In general I like high G except when I am trying to pick out a tune and I run out of low notes. (You really only get 4 more notes with a Low G so whats the point? it makes the uke sound worse in my opinion). The Baritone ukulele does not have this issue as it is strung with a Low D. Some music tab (fingerpicking) is written for Low G, I just noticed that. If you use high G then its also possible that you will be playing the exact same note and pitch on two strings more often. I believe Jake still uses high G right?

My go to uke is a concert with low G and my ears even though destroyed by decades of rock 'n roll, loves what is produced by that combo. My tenor strung with low G is nice too but the concert seems to have been built for it. To each uke its own I guess.

Well, I went and bought an "A" String for my Uke today (They were out of "D" Strings) and i puted it on a moment ago. It sounds really shity, but for two reasons. First it's new, second I lost my Tuning Device (I don't know the correct english word for it ^^). I think I'm going to like the High G more, but I'm gonna give the Low a chance and I'll wait till it's used to the uke.

And I need to buy a new tuning device ^^

I mostly use a tenor with a low G and I love it. It gives the uke a little more depth and I have several songs that can really use that extra range. I use the string the luthier recommended, D'Addario Pro-Arte D Light Silverplated Copper Wound .028, J4304

I tried low g a number of times and never liked it -- I tried a bunch of different types of strings and the g string always seemed to overpower the other three. I also had my ear used to the high g tuning. I finally found a set of low g strings that I liked (Fremont Blacklines) and now I have never looked back and I play low g 99.999% of the time. I no longer use the Fremonts (I use the Worth CHLGHD ones instead) but I'm a low g convert. My only advice would be to give it a chance and consider trying more than one option. I also find that wound strings are not what I prefer -- I don't like the squeak of them. So if that deters you, try a nonwound low g option.

"The Baritone ukulele does not have this issue as it is strung with a Low D."
My baritone ukulele is very difficult for me to play, having been spoiled by a concert uke. so is it safe to assume that I can set the baritone up in low g, c, e, a tuning and play it like a large tenor? And are strings of that sort available?

I used to have a Love/Hate attitude towards low G, Low the deep mellow bass but hated that many songs written for high G didn't sound right. Now as many have said you just get used to it even if the song wasn't written for low G. The great thing is that it is a reason to have 2 tenors strung with each. Makes it interesting to change off every couple of weeks for a different sound,,,

I don't like the squeak of them. So if that deters you, try a nonwound low g option.

Thanks! I tried some low G Aquilas and didn't like the squeaking either, (Aquila non-wounds squeak too much already for my taste) so I dumped them, but I took your advise and tried some Freemont Blackines today and I'm sold! And this is on a Kamaka soprano. Nice!

Top Bottom