Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Low G-String

Thank you so mutch for your Answers guys

I'm on the way to buy a classical Guitar "D" String as Suggested and I will try the tuning later that day!

I have a low G on my tenor, but not on my concerts or sopranos. To me it does not sound so great on a soprano. I tried it on the soprano and was disappointed with it. It was on a dolphin and it ripped the darn tuning machine off the headstock too as I used a wound string. In general I like high G except when I am trying to pick out a tune and I run out of low notes. (You really only get 4 more notes with a Low G so whats the point? it makes the uke sound worse in my opinion). The Baritone ukulele does not have this issue as it is strung with a Low D. Some music tab (fingerpicking) is written for Low G, I just noticed that. If you use high G then its also possible that you will be playing the exact same note and pitch on two strings more often. I believe Jake still uses high G right?

My go to uke is a concert with low G and my ears even though destroyed by decades of rock 'n roll, loves what is produced by that combo. My tenor strung with low G is nice too but the concert seems to have been built for it. To each uke its own I guess.

Well, I went and bought an "A" String for my Uke today (They were out of "D" Strings) and i puted it on a moment ago. It sounds really shity, but for two reasons. First it's new, second I lost my Tuning Device (I don't know the correct english word for it ^^). I think I'm going to like the High G more, but I'm gonna give the Low a chance and I'll wait till it's used to the uke.

And I need to buy a new tuning device ^^

I mostly use a tenor with a low G and I love it. It gives the uke a little more depth and I have several songs that can really use that extra range. I use the string the luthier recommended, D'Addario Pro-Arte D Light Silverplated Copper Wound .028, J4304

I tried low g a number of times and never liked it -- I tried a bunch of different types of strings and the g string always seemed to overpower the other three. I also had my ear used to the high g tuning. I finally found a set of low g strings that I liked (Fremont Blacklines) and now I have never looked back and I play low g 99.999% of the time. I no longer use the Fremonts (I use the Worth CHLGHD ones instead) but I'm a low g convert. My only advice would be to give it a chance and consider trying more than one option. I also find that wound strings are not what I prefer -- I don't like the squeak of them. So if that deters you, try a nonwound low g option.
    Moore Bettah Kauai Dreams undersea inlay tenor "Hui Nani"
    Moore Bettah slothead offset soundhole tenor "Kula Leo"
    KoAloha KTMS-00 "Lokomaika'i"

Building and Owning a Bettah Ukulele: The story of Moore Bettah Ukuleles
    Listen With Your Heart: The KoAloha Ukulele Story
    Listen With Your Heart: The KoAloha Ukulele Story e-book edition

"The Baritone ukulele does not have this issue as it is strung with a Low D."
    My baritone ukulele is very difficult for me to play, having been spoiled by a concert uke. so is it safe to assume that I can set the baritone up in low g, c, e, a tuning and play it like a large tenor? And are strings of that sort available?

Bloomfield, Michigan & Melbourne, Florida

I used to have a Love/Hate attitude towards low G, Low the deep mellow bass but hated that many songs written for high G didn't sound right. Now as many have said you just get used to it even if the song wasn't written for low G. The great thing is that it is a reason to have 2 tenors strung with each. Makes it interesting to change off every couple of weeks for a different sound,,,

Quote Originally Posted by wickedwahine11 View Post
    I don't like the squeak of them. So if that deters you, try a nonwound low g option.
    Thanks! I tried some low G Aquilas and didn't like the squeaking either, (Aquila non-wounds squeak too much already for my taste) so I dumped them, but I took your advise and tried some Freemont Blackines today and I'm sold! And this is on a Kamaka soprano. Nice!

Following the southcoastukes link, I read this great overview:

http://www.southcoastukes.com/string...es/tunings.htm

I learned so much on this thread! Thanks for the link to southcoastukes!
    Makala Dolphin Teaching Pod: 1 LightTurquoise, 1 RedBurst, 1 WhiteSparkle, 1 BlueSparkle, 1 Pink, 1 Pinkburst, 1 Purple, 1 Yellow, 1 Yellowburst

Personal Ukes: 2 Dolphin OrangeBursts (1 Low G), Makala LightBlueBurst Tenor (Low G), Disney Princess Plastic

Cigar Box Strummer ~ Strat-body Ibanez 3/4 ~ Clayz Raindrop Alto Ab ~ Focalink Jade Crackle Soprano B

Thread Information