The Low G-String

I'm a beginner so maybe I'm missing something but, if you like both high and low G wouldn't an 8 string tenor solve the problem? (I wouldn't know since I've never heard one played)

Ohana makes a 5 string uke with a low and a high G. I have a tenor TK-35G-5 and it sounds great.

I'm pretty sure that the low G string was invented as a gateway drug to UAS

I keep my sopranos strung with high g, my tenors with low G, and mix em up on the concerts

Thanks for the info, garywj.

Anyone played a Fluke Tenor with a Low G?
They recommend the Aquila strings with a wound G - which would mean opting for the rosewood fretboard.

(Is there no end to this UAS madness?!)

On the tuning. The Low-G tunes to 196 Hz. NOT that same note at the high G, you will probably break your tuning peg (or worse) trying to get it tuned that high. I nearly made that mistake myself using a tuner app on my smart phone not knowing WHICH G to tune to. Fortunately the string started making warning noises before I got too far.

I switched over to a complete set of Aquila with a low G string on my Lanikai Concert (Koa). Sounds nice and mellow for me, I guess it all depends on the player and what he's playing. For me is playing Hawaiian traditional so this is my preference, again it depends what you want out of your playing style.

I have a low G on my MK-T and the other day tuned it like a baritone DGBE and I am not looking back. I love it tuned like the bottom four strings of a guitar. I am using Tenor Fluorocarbons with a wound classical guitar string for the D (G). I don't know if the MK-T is a special Tenor with the body depth that just sounds great with the DGBE but it certainly does.

Tenors were originally tuned DGBE so don't be too surprised!

A lot of good advice already. It depends a lot on what type of music you play. For me, low G is the best bet and I have all 3 of my tenors strung accordingly, although I plan to return one to high G for variety. I really prefer Ko'Aloa strings that come with low G or high G. I use Mahanas on my maple Pono and Kala, and Alohi on my mahogany Pono. The Mahanas are a bit mellower and work well on the brighter maple boxes. Hawaii Music Supply has an excellent comparison of these strings and Aquilas on line in the sound bite for a Kamaka tenor.

Second the idiot vote

I have found that many of the better players that like to pick and like the extended range prefer the Low G. I prefer the Worth Clear Low G set for the tenor.
If you are in the US you can get Worth Strings on Ebay from this seller.
http://myworld.ebay.com/sounduke/?_trksid=p4340.l2559

Last edited:
I do believe the Hawaiian players prefer the Low G.
I switched over to a complete set of Aquila with a low G string on my Lanikai Concert (Koa). Sounds nice and mellow for me, I guess it all depends on the player and what he's playing. For me is playing Hawaiian traditional so this is my preference, again it depends what you want out of your playing style.

I hate to resurrect an old thread, but I need to be clear about this. I have my first uke coming in a few days and want to buy strings now.

Since I was a classical/folk guitarist for about ten years (before marriage and kids and regular jobs), I preferred Savarez Red Card nylons. I want to string my new MK-T with low G, and would also like to try DGBE. I have some strange belief that my fingers are going to recall the old skills better the closer I can get to a guitar. I intend to do mostly finger picking.

Basic questions:

Is there any modification needed to string the MK-T to a linear tuning? Is the groove in the nut wide enough without having to file it?

If I can't find real uke strings here in Des Moines - a real possibility - I can get guitar strings. What would be the best Savarez string for a low G/D uke string, for instance? I'd prefer an unwound 4th but I don't want it to be too muted. I do have a fresh set of regular Aquila Nylguts coming that I mean to use for the bottom three, since I have no idea what condition the provided strings are in.

I have a Cherub tuner coming. From the pictures, it seems set to recognize all the right notes for both DGBE and GCEA. Does it care what octaves the notes are in? I assume not, but I'd be disappointed if it doesn't work. You may not believe this, but we didn't have these back in the 70s ;-)

Really stupid question, probably, but do you tune up to DGBE or down? (Sorry)

Finally, I used to really enjoy a lot of open tunings on my classical guitar, but I would tend to burn through a lot of tuner gears. It was a combo of changing tunings too often and using high tension Savarez, I think. Since I'm unsure how much tension a tenor normally has, how far up can you tune without running the risk of damage to the instrument, broken strings, damaged tuners, etc.?

Some of this is, I'm sure, over-thinking and over-caution. And much of it will certainly be clearer once I get my hands on the little rascal. But this is how I'm occupying my mind while trying to puzzle out why it takes FedEx 5 days to travel from Texas to Iowa.

Thanks for tolerating so much n00bness.

Hi Jeff, I don't have an answer for you. I just wanted to suggest you start a new thread to ask your questions. You may get a better response since a lot of folks may skip over an old thread that they already read
Good luck and good questions. I think you do need to widen the nut by the way. That is what has been stopping me from stringing my one concert. That is why I am going to purchase a second concert.
Good luck and have fun with your new uke when it gets there.

the low G makes my chords lose that... ukulele-ness. i don't like it/ i might miss the re-entrant string more than your guessed. still try it, but keep the high g stirngs

I wanted one uke with a low G and found one for $3 UNWOUND when I googled. I think a high school kid perfected it, and it works well with my Aquilas.

Best low g set to date for me is Southcoast G650 set with flatwound 3rd and 4th. Sweet tone with no wound string squeak. Oh, it's on my Mele Tenor.......................................BO...............................

Aloha Jeff,
The cherub will reconize any note and it is simple to use....you will be pleased with it....user friendly:)

I came to the uke from guitar, so from that perspective a low G made more sense to me. I use a worth clear set and love the way they sound.

Well, the Aquila Low-G worked great on my Makala MK-T. No need for any nut finaglery. Perfect fit and sounds great.

The only problem was tuning with the little Cherub. It has trouble hearing the low-g as a G. But I found that sounding the harmonic and tuning the string works perfect.

Some of the old folk guitar experience is slowly re-emerging after 3 decades and I'm having fun. I play until my fingers hurt too much - a little longer each time.

Today I'm going to play with some open tunings. Wish me luck.

I use a low-g on my concert and a high-g on my tenor. Both have unique applications, but I quite like the sound of a low-g as long as it is used appropriately :p

Top Bottom