Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Low G-String

A low G string works better for me on finger picking and when trying to follow the melody. Since the tone is lower, it will not be as resonate on a smaller uke. I have bought 2 ukes that came with low G's, both tenors. For just strumming, the high G sounds more "normal" because that's what the vast majority of ukes come with and what I have mostly heard. Most tab is written for high G, so if you are playing from tab it will often sound wrong. I also suggest you try it and see what you like.
    Blessings,
    garyj

Life for dummies: Be Good, Be Nice and Be Happy.
    My Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1729306413
    My YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/gwjefferson?feature=mhee

Default Baritone in standard tuning

Quote Originally Posted by Nickie View Post
    "The Baritone ukulele does not have this issue as it is strung with a Low D."
    My baritone ukulele is very difficult for me to play, having been spoiled by a concert uke. so is it safe to assume that I can set the baritone up in low g, c, e, a tuning and play it like a large tenor? And are strings of that sort available?
    You sure can. I have a baritone in standard GCEA tuning (high G), which works fine; a more or less traditional "ukie" sound, but loud... Aquila have a special GCEA set for the baritone, I think it is 23U. However, for the baritone DGBE also works very well I think. But for me, a beginner just getting to gripe with the "normal" chords, it is difficult to connect the correct baritone chords with the finger positions...

I've been getting used to a low G over the past few months and it's amazing how much it changes the instrument. It opens a lot of potential for arrangements of chords, but it sounds less ukey. If you want to do more than just strum, it certainly adds possibilities. I've been won over by it, but now I need a good backup uke for re-entrant tuning so I can have access to both.

I have a baritone strung with Southcoast linear [low g], and it sounds great. when fingerpicking. I really don't like the sound when strummed. It seems that the longer the scale, the better w/ low G. imho
    there is no substitute for LOVE

I'm running Low G on my Mainland Tenor and love it - prefer it. Now I need a Concert strung high G, LOL!

From an earlier thread, I compared the sound of the low/high G on a Kamaka soprano (both sound fine to me)

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_J View Post
    OK. Here are some sound samplers of the same Kamaka soprano with low and high g strings (excuse the crummy playing)

Kamaka HF-1 high g Aquila Nylgut:http://www.box.net/shared/cp4s5adn69

Kamaka HF-1 low g Ko'olau Alohi : http://www.box.net/shared/og7b1b5rs3
    -Hodge
    Humble strummer of fine ukes.

since it's been tuned lowG (+/-4years) i've never stopped bringing my uke everywhere along, played it almost everyday, with intense satysfaction... whereas it kind of stayed on the shelf before as ''nice and friendly little exotic toy''...

I usually use ''normal classical D string'' (savarez, often) and never really noticed a great difference compared to the ''special lowG strings'' from aquilla from instance, do you guys really do?

i've also tried non wonded low G (with Worth brown) but never got used to it, too week, off tune, too slack...

personnal taste I guess
    keep on swingin'

I noticed a big difference. Until my worth set came (I also ordered an extra Aquila low G to match my spare strings), I was running a classical guitar nylon G string. It just sounded "off". It didn't match the tone and sound of the other strings. It stuck out like a sore thumb...so much so, that I thought thats what it was supposed to sound like, and if so, I was going to return the strings, and just keep it High G.

But, I tried the new strings anyway, and it was nothing like that at all. The Low G that came with the Worth strings blended perfectly with the other strings, and together the strings worked together to create a very even sound. The Low G did not stand out on its own at all.

While I owned the Ohana SK-70 soprano, I had it strung with a low G. For some reason, I always seemed to reach for it then. Then I traded it off and decided to keep my SK-35G with a high G. That caused me to start reaching for the Lanikia ST tenor with the low G. Yesterday, I put a low G back on the SK-35 and played it happily for hours and hours last night. Maybe I am just a low G man. I do like to finger pick.

I play a tenor with a D'Addario wound classical guitar string for my low G. I love it. I buy my strings individually off of JustStrings.com.
    Uke can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find uke get what you need!

YouTube: www.youtube.com/uke4ia

Thread Information