What finish to use.

The Curious Kid

Reaction score
Hello.

I'm nearly finished with my uke. I had it strung up earlier to test it out and see what needed changing, and I got stuck with it in my lap during 2 four hour car rides. So it got played quite a bit. When I got home I took the strings off and realized that the stain on my fretboard (it's cherry stained darker) was wearing off from playing.

So, my question before I put finish on it is. Is there any sort of finish that will keep, or at least deter this from happening?

Thanks much.

Most don't finish the fretboard. The wood is occasionally oiled with fingerboard oil and that's usually it.

lemon oil is great for a healthy fretboard. what kind of wood is the fretboard? something like ebony won't need to be oiled as much, being a less porous wood. if you have a rosewood like cocobolo or east indian, it will need to oil it more often. in general oiling between restrings will do it.

Right, now that I actually think about that, finish on a fingerboard makes no sense. So where does a guy acquire lemon oil?

and a question about it... Does lemon oil ever stop smearing off on ones fingers?

Any store that sells furniture cleaner/polish sells lemon oil.

You never apply so much oil as to have it smearing off on you fingers.

I've been using a furniture wax that is made in Western Australia. A blend of Carnauba, Bees Wax and some other secret ingredients. Just a very tiny bit and buff to a low sheen.

Top Bottom