custom uke makers that you recommend?

i have actually decided to build my own. its going to be an electric only ukulele based loosely on the bugsgear. but a body resembling more of a les paul, and with a slotted head.
WOW... you must have some good hands to take on a task like that....cool man...Well I wish you the best and I can not wait to see and hear it...

Wow! All these custom ukes are amazing! I remember buying my first uke and thinking I want to try out a different size. So I bought a tenor (<$100). Then, I thought I want a good uke that I can take anywhere and my girlfriend bought me a Fluke. After I played the Fluke, I thought "I want a uke with a solid soundboard (at least), possibly with a pick-up". I haven't found my solid wood uke yet and now you guys are making me drool with custom-jobs! Damn UAS!

Seeso, in addition to WK, DM, CM and OH, don't forget (in no particular order):

Bob Gleason - Pegasus
Paul Okami - KoAloha
Joe Souza - Kanile`a
Casey Kamaka - Kamaka
Chris Kamaka - Kamaka
Derek Shimizu - GString
Rich Godfrey - Koa Works
John Kitakis - Ko`olau
Greg Uyehara - GKU
Shinji Takahashi
Rick Turner - Compass Rose

I know I've missed a few, but its late. This is a good time.

I believe my next uke will be a custom or stock Kamaka tenor. Anyone having any intonation problems with Kamaka's?? Thanks, Ernie..

I got one for xmas, all I can say is love it love it love it everytime I pick it up to play I giggle with little boy pleasure. If I wasn't married already I'd marry my kamaka. Perfect intonation all the way through, overtones all over the place makes it ring like bells, especially farther up the fretboard. I find that I need to replace the strings again. First time was after 3 months of playing the stock strings, then already, I feel like I need a new set. I know it can't be the uke itself, I wonder if my strumming is too hard? Its weird, I just surprised that someone of my ability feels the need to change strings so often...

IMO...can't ever go wrong with a kamaka. Still, playing first to see which one sounds best to you is the only way to buy a top grade uke...

I find that I need to replace the strings again. First time was after 3 months of playing the stock strings, then already, I feel like I need a new set. . . Its weird, I just surprised that someone of my ability feels the need to change strings so often...

When I was busking daily with my guitar changing the strings once a week was often "putting it off."

Sometimes I go over a year (too long) with my ukuleles. And since good uke strings are cheaper than good guitar strings, I consider myself way lucky.

Brah,

Before you make your decision on who is to build your custom ukulele (i guess sometime in the future now that you have decided) I would play, feel and inspect as many different ukuleles as possible. Take your time and see what you like, see who you like then go their factory, shop, etc. and talk to the builder. See how they operate, smell the wood. Find out if they will be building it or someone else in the shop. Interview him/her and make sure you can work with them before you plunk down the deposit. If you can't work with the builder and the builder cannot work with you, what do you think you will get? Sometimes you just click with a builder and they hopefully will become your builder for life. I think this is the most important thing when considering a custom ukulele builder.

There is lot of mana that goes into a custom ukulele. Believe me. I have the utmost respect for any and all ukulele builders but there are some that are right for you and some that are not.

About 3 years ago I had the chance to meet David C. Hurd of Kawika Ukuleles. Whom I consider, used to build one of the finest sounding ukuleles that I had ever heard. I went to his house/shop in Hilo, played his ukuleles talked with him and thought we would work together on a project. I started the "I want" process about a year later but could not come to agreements on some issues. He wanted to build me a Kawika ukulele the way he wanted it to be not the way I wanted it. Maybe I should have listened to him , maybe not. But It just did not work out, I'm sure the ukulele would have sounded phenomenal but I just felt the mana was lost. So we parted ideas.

I had found another innovative builder before Kawika by the name of Andy Berard of O'kona Ukuleles but unfortunately he passed before I was to have him build my next tenor ukulele. Andy, I believe was to be my builder for life. I still own one of his concert ukuleles. RIP Andy

There's so many nice customs in this thread....it's just so hard to choose somehting from all these good luthier...

As for my part...I didn't see anyone mention Mike Periera from MP!!! It's him that I choose to ask for my first custom concert uke that I ordered...

Can't wait to receive it...It should arrive somewhere around mid June!!!\

No love then for Jerry Hoffmann of Boat Paddle Ukuleles?

He's building a Uke for Julie of The Gadgeteer and Ukulele Review fame, and it's been great following each of the updates as her uke comes to life. The looks are a bit Rosemary's Baby, but I grok the sound, and the use of pins instead of nut. The price ain't bad either.

In a word: Ko'olau

well ive kinda narrowed it down to three:

da silva here in cali
kanile'a
g string

i am leaning more toward g string at the moment... but i still havent gotten a hard quote for the specs that i requested.

does anyone here... anyone... have any say about any of these companies??

im sure any of these companies will make a uke that sounds great. but im worried about:
1. customer service
2. workmanship (attention to detail)
3. price
4. pride in their product

Truly the best workmanship and sound that I've found. However, you'll have to pay for it, but worth every penny. I was once spending over $1,400.00 per year on a frick'n coffee drink! I've gotten every single penny of enjoyment out of my two Ko'olaus.
http://www.koolauukulele.com/

why hasn't anyone written about MP ukes? anyone have experience with one?

Brudda Mark

It is very hard for builders who have distinct views as David does to take on board input from so called non-experts.

I personally don't do ideas. I have a bunch of models that can be blinged up from the bottom and that's about it. There are a limited number of specie that I will build with and I draw back from spruce tops except on my concert negra models and J2s. In fatc, there are very few builders who can accomodate the wishes of clients and if they do you gotta pay for it!

The other day I got asked to build a guitar for someone who managed to get their hands on one of my last koa/spruce parlors. It's no deal unless he is prepared to start at $6000 - this may seem extreme but I would have to rebuild my forms and jigs and completely rearrange my workshop which is designed for small instruments.

NukeDOC, I admire you for going the build your own route. It's a route I'm cosidering for my next Uke. I've never built a Uke but I've done lots of woodworking.

There is nothing like making it yourself to make it your own.

I've made hand made cabinets. They were nice and the client loved them. Thing is, that I knew every square inch of them when I delivered them like the back of my hand. Almost better then I know my kids.

I'm pretty sure my next uke will be a kit build at this point. The high end tempts me. The custom luthiers stuff is like p*** to me. The thing is, I know from personal experience how much of yourself goes into a handmade item. I used to imagine what it would be like playing a Uke like Jake's, and that was pretty cool. Now I think about how cool it would be to make one, especially one that played well.

I love playing my Uke. I'm not sure that some high end custom would enhance that cause I'm already enjoying myself. The only thing I could imagine that would make that experience more fun is playing a Uke that had been a labor of love by myself.

Good luck making your Uke.

For what it's worth.....

Lori Espanol makes a very fine instrument. I have 2 of hers. She's got one on Ebay presently # 220274396286, where there is more contact info for her as well as a link to many of the ones she has made.

For what it's worth.....

Lori Espanol makes a very fine instrument. I have 2 of hers. She's got one on Ebay presently # 220274396286, where there is more contact info for her as well as a link to many of the ones she has made.

Shhhhhhh. I'm bidding on that one.

Top Bottom