Zebra Wood Uke?

MUCKSTER

Reaction score
I went to my local Ukulele shop in Wilmington, NC yesterday to look around at their ukes. I played around with a bunch of the ukuleles up on the wall and one that really caught my attention was a Ukulele made from Zebra wood for $120. I was wondering in terms of wood how is Zebra wood? I forget what make and model the instrument was so I'm sorry for that.

Thanks a lot for any help!

I went to my local Ukulele shop in Wilmington, NC yesterday to look around at their ukes. I played around with a bunch of the ukuleles up on the wall and one that really caught my attention was a Ukulele made from Zebra wood for $120. I was wondering in terms of wood how is Zebra wood? I forget what make and model the instrument was so I'm sorry for that.

Thanks a lot for any help!

Several makers use Zebrawood these days. Lanikai, Ohana, etc. Here's a sound sample that MusicGuyMike did a while back w/a solid Zebrawood:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dn6yCfATYR0

And another from Mike of Uke Republic on an Ohana w/Zebrawood back & sides & spruce top.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81gYtOoix_g

Good tone wood, but apparently somewhat hard to build with.

Hope this helps! Mahalo

hi,

i have a ohana zebrawood soprano and i think it is a very good uke (and a pretty one). it is solid, and sounds really good (the ohana ones are with aquila strings).
have you tried the ukulele? if so, and you like it: go for it. i think it is worth the money (at least my ohana one). what exactly do you want to know?

Ken Middleton did a comparison of 6 sopranos last year that should give you some idea how it sounds compared to other woods on a soprano. I have played the Ohana all solid zebra wood soprano, and it is a nice uke. Its very bright, but perhaps not as bright as spruce, as opposed to the more mellow cedar or mahogany models.

Last edited:
Yes, there is nothing like a zebrawood ukulele for catching the eye, folks allways admire mine, so it's great for starting conversations, lol...sort of like bringing your puppy along, people ooh and aah!

What struck me when i first got it was that it has a "bell" like sound, and I continue to hear that "bell" like quality.

I am waiting to change the strings from Aquilas to Worth Brown Mediums, I've a hunch they would suit this instrument better.

120 bucks??? Ohana SK-25Z???.....I'd say "DO IT", lol...Ohanas are great instruments IMHO.

Cheers, GG

Thanks for all the advise guys! Sweetwater your post really helped a ton and helped cement my choice. Now I only have to clear it with my parents... Darn my parents having control over my credit card!

Well thanks for all the help guys I did a little more research on it oncw I found out the make and model. It is a Vineyard UK-Z-88. Apparently vineyard is really hit or miss but this particular model performs well so i got it after I played around with it a bit
P1020268.jpg

Thats my baby!

yes sir, thats my baby now!!!!

Nice one muckster, hope you have fun with your new zeeebrawood oookulele....

Top Bottom