An all girl uke contest would work?

guitarjunky

Reaction score
I have been towing about the idea of throwing a special all girl uke contest. Are the female uke player behind me?:D

If the prize is good enough, I might have to pull a Tootsie.

JJ

Great idea! Do it.

I have been towing about the idea of throwing a special all girl uke contest. Are the female uke player behind me?:D
I suppose it depends on exactly what the slant would be, but I'm not really on board with that. Don't know what the male:female ratio is here (seems more balanced than in the guitar community), but excluding anyone from a contest because of their gender seems unfair. And if you let the guys go Tootsie to be in it, well, they might have an unfair advantage in their comedic value, much as I'd love to see JJ perform in drag. :p

I suppose it depends on exactly what the slant would be, but I'm not really on board with that. Don't know what the male:female ratio is here (seems more balanced than in the guitar community), but excluding anyone from a contest because of their gender seems unfair. And if you let the guys go Tootsie to be in it, well, they might have an unfair advantage in their comedic value, much as I'd love to see JJ perform in drag. :p

I'll admit I'm probably not the target demographic for this sort of thing, but I agree with this. I don't think of myself as a "girl ukulele player" even though I'm female - I just think of myself as a ukulele player. Actually, this brings up one of my pet peeves: when people first learn I play, the expect me to be one of those girls who sing and write cutesy-ironic lyrics - you know the type. And I often sense they are disappointed when they learn that I'm an instrumentalist who is more into John King than anything cute and ironic.

But that's my own personal baggage, I know, but figured I'd put it out there :)

Hmm, I don't know... I wouldn't be against an all-girl contest because there are plenty of contests out there that target all kinds of different uker types. I probably wouldn't participate because I don't need another uke, but it'd be fun to see.

I'll admit I'm probably not the target demographic for this sort of thing, but I agree with this. I don't think of myself as a "girl ukulele player" even though I'm female - I just think of myself as a ukulele player. Actually, this brings up one of my pet peeves: when people first learn I play, the expect me to be one of those girls who sing and write cutesy-ironic lyrics - you know the type. And I often sense they are disappointed when they learn that I'm an instrumentalist who is more into John King than anything cute and ironic.
I hear you completely! Much as I like Uni & Her Ukelele (yes, she spells it that way), I'm not into playing kitschy pop myself. I, too, am more into playing solo classical fingerpicking.

The part of your quote that I bolded pretty much sums it up for me. :)

if we can have all covers contest, or all hanson contests, or all new wave contests, why not an all-girl contest? Or an all-boy contest? Just because it's an all-girl contest wouldn't mean we'd have to play girly songs. Plus, I'm tired of boys always winning these things.

I'm not against creating limits on who can enter contests, if you want to target certain people, then your contest rules might reflect that! If it were up to me, I'd go so far as to impose post minimums and/or join date minimums on contests, just so the prizes would stay with contributing members of the community. Contests are contests, they are both personal and limited only by the imagination!

What I'm trying to say is, I am down with this plan.

Last edited:
I have to say that I am slightly uneasy about this.

How many of the male players who are in favour of this would be quite so happy is the prize was, say, a top of the range Kanile'a or Kamaka tenor? I think some of you would be wondering why you had been excluded.

If it had been suggested that there should be a contest for only people under 50, or only for non-disabled people, or for people of just one ethnic background (just white people, for instance), would people feel it to be a bit inappropriate?

I know that there are sometimes contests just for children. I think that is different though. Someone pointed out that they primarily thought of themself as a ukulele player, not a female ukulele player. I think that one of the most strinking things about the ukulele community is that it is so all-inclusive. I know and count as friends players from all around the world. It is a privilege to know them. I really don't know the ratio of men to women.

I have rambled on enough. I don't enter competitions anymore, so it won't affect me. I just felt that it needed to be said. Competitions are great anyway and one one just for female players would be fun. It is just that it is a shame to leave out the other players who may want to join in rather than be left out.

Don't get me wrong there are some all Girl things that i like to see :), but i'm not sure about a Ukulele contest, dont get me wrong i love watching some of the females that post vids on here and enter contests, some of them are fantastic and i love the fact that they enter contests (and do better entrys than me, Grrrr. lol) . I like to think that the Ukulele comunity is a warm friendly family of people be it male/female, what ever your skin colour, where ever you come from, we all play and love the same instrument, so surely competitions should include this whole family of proud, warm, friendly ukers..
But if the comp was open to the male ukers too, as long as they sport a wig, skirt and appropiate face paint, then that could be a fun little (or rather disturbing in some cases) competition....
In anycase i would still enjoying watching the entrys just like any other comp... Tricky one to call,

Ultimatly its down the person that is kind enough to run the competition and generious enough to give away prises, as it there comp there rules :)

Last edited:
rofl!!!

I'm a girl and I love the idea!

Top Bottom