An all girl uke contest would work?

I am thinking about having an all lefty contest. Now in the uke world, that's a minority. I love the ladies. If you want an all women contest-go for it!!!!

I think I might try this contest. Maybe I'd play better as a leftie?

Wow, I had no idea I was going to create such a debate!!! I come in peace guys and so everyone understand, this idea came from the joy of meeting more and more female uke players here in Canada... I initialy come form the guitar world where we are like 95% male and I truthfully, it sucks! So I just wanted to celebrate the girls who are great players and singers that make this community a better one...

That being said, I would hate to be in the middle of a contreversy... So I will propose in a few days an all girl contest AND an all boys contest... Let see what that brings to the table... I will think of this a bit more, but I will be back soon :)

hmm, since people are so passionate about this, why not host a contest including men and women but still concerning gender, such as by making guys perform songs traditionally sung by women singers and girls singing songs usually associated with guys...if that makes sense?

hmm, since people are so passionate about this, why not host a contest including men and women but still concerning gender, such as by making guys perform songs traditionally sung by women singers and girls singing songs usually associated with guys...if that makes sense?

I think this is a great idea. Joan Baez had a few songs where she did this, singing from a male perspective, and I think the subject matter of Lucinda Williams' songs are often things usually sung about by men. However, I'm having trouble thinking of a feminine perspective song that has been covered by a guy. Maybe we could really break some new ground here.

I think this is a great idea. Joan Baez had a few songs where she did this, singing from a male perspective, and I think the subject matter of Lucinda Williams' songs are often things usually sung about by men. However, I'm having trouble thinking of a feminine perspective song that has been covered by a guy. Maybe we could really break some new ground here.

Yes...this could be something to think about!!!

I'm not sure, but I don't think it's up to us what kinda of contest anyone holds. That is up to the contest holder. The only thing that is up to us is if we enter or not. That's it. Hold your own contest if you want to set out the guidelines.

Funny, a friend and I were just having this discussion. I'm a girl and quite a few of my favorite songs to sing (quite a few older songs) and all of them are the man's perspective. You never hear a guy singing a womans perspective song. It's just not macho I guess. Occasionally I'll slip in a "he" for the "she" but then, it's just not the same song is it?

Funny, a friend and I were just having this discussion. I'm a girl and quite a few of my favorite songs to sing (quite a few older songs) and all of them are the man's perspective. You never hear a guy singing a womans perspective song. It's just not macho I guess. Occasionally I'll slip in a "he" for the "she" but then, it's just not the same song is it?

i sing a woman's perspective song right here and didn't change the gender to suit my own. didn't think it was necessary to. it also helps that i'm not macho :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7STtjyc-s0

as for the OP, it's "technically" not fair to hold a girl's only contest but go ahead and do it if you like. nobody's going to sue you! i'm sure it will be lots of fun.

Love the Elmer Fudd hat!

I sing Natural Woman all the time and don't change a damn thing in the lyrics. Hell, I've written a song about being a drag queen.

I sing Natural Woman all the time and don't change a damn thing in the lyrics. Hell, I've written a song about being a drag queen.

Okay, if GuitarJunky doesn't host this cross-gender/role reversal song contest, I'm seriously considering doing it myself. It'd be worth it just for Seeso's cover of "Natural Woman".

So was there ever a decision about the contest? My daughter would like to enter if there is one. She's 13 so I suppose there will be an age limit to discriminate against junior female uke players.

Last edited:
Excuse me! I sing LOTS of female perspective songs in my set!!

To name but a few - KT Tunstall, Dolly Parton, Alanis Morrissette, Fiona Apple, Gloria Gaynor,...

Top Bottom