Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19

Thread: Guitarlele

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Hilo, Hawaii
    Posts
    11

    Default Guitarlele

    .



    Aloha, I have a luthier friend who made me a very nice tenor uke (It's a hybrid between the largest dimensions of a Martin, and a Kamaka, and gets many compliments on it's sound.); so, I paid him $900 down on a $1700 guitar before I lost my job.

    Now, he's agreed to make me a guitarlele/6 string ukelele for the $900 I paid him; but, he's never made one before, and wants me to get the dimensions for the instrument I want.

    So... I was researching plans for a guitarlele and found this site.
    Does anybody here have input on what size a guitarlele should be?
    I've seen a few different kinds; which size, and/or kind of guitarlele would the readers of this forum recommend?

    Mahalo nui loa for your time.


    .

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    E TN - Knoxville
    Posts
    646

    Default

    sort of obviously something like the Yamaha I think. I guess Cordoba and others are also making them so that means basically a Tenor Uke with two lower strings.
    Love playing ukulele

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    E TN - Knoxville
    Posts
    646

    Default of course if you wanted it to be real

    of course if you wanted it to be even more of a Guitar lele, then maybe a baritone with two more strings but then its a mini guitar and not really a uke in my opinion.
    Love playing ukulele

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Hebden Bridge, West Yorkshire UK
    Posts
    219

    Default

    Are we talking steel string or nylon?

    The nearest thing I've ever built is this steel - string soprano guitar with a cookie tin body..
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dylPs_2qq0E

    Scale length was 14" with a set of .009 gauge strings.

    To make it a bit more roomy for chord playing, I made the neck slightly wider at the nut - it was the same width as the third fret on a regular guitar.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    E TN - Knoxville
    Posts
    646

    Default

    The other thing that bothered me about the guitarlele is the distance between the strings is not as much on a guitarlele as a uke. I sent the yamaha back as I wanted to focus on the Uke.
    Love playing ukulele

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Hilo, Hawaii
    Posts
    11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Huna View Post
    sort of obviously something like the Yamaha I think. I guess Cordoba and others are also making them so that means basically a Tenor Uke with two lower strings.


    Thank you, we had settled on the basic tenor, or super tenor body, with a baritone neck, I've found dimensions for everything except the depth... I think he already knows how he plans on setting up the strings, and the nut for ukulele, and guitar style stringing.

    I guess all I really need is the depth of the box; but, I'm pretty sure some guitarleles sound better than others, and want to use the dimensions from the best one.

    I realize everybody probably wont agree on the best one, or the best dimensions; but, I'm very interested in what luthiers, and uke players have to say about guitarleles... what I don't know about them would fill volumes.


    .

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Hilo, Hawaii
    Posts
    11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aloysiousaloha View Post
    Thank you, we had settled on the basic tenor, or super tenor body, with a baritone neck, I've found dimensions for everything except the depth... I think he already knows how he plans on setting up the strings, and the nut for ukulele, and guitar style stringing.

    I guess all I really need is the depth of the box; but, I'm pretty sure some guitarleles sound better than others, and want to use the dimensions from the best one.

    I realize everybody probably wont agree on the best one, or the best dimensions; but, I'm very interested in what luthiers, and uke players have to say about guitarleles... what I don't know about them would fill volumes.


    .


    Would anybody consider making the body a little bigger than what is available on the market?


    .

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Hilo, Hawaii
    Posts
    11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Huna View Post
    of course if you wanted it to be even more of a Guitar lele, then maybe a baritone with two more strings but then its a mini guitar and not really a uke in my opinion.

    I don't want to go much larger than a tenor; becase, I want to be able to travel, and camp with it.


    .

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Hilo, Hawaii
    Posts
    11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rob-C View Post
    Are we talking steel string or nylon?

    The nearest thing I've ever built is this steel - string soprano guitar with a cookie tin body..
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dylPs_2qq0E

    Scale length was 14" with a set of .009 gauge strings.

    To make it a bit more roomy for chord playing, I made the neck slightly wider at the nut - it was the same width as the third fret on a regular guitar.



    I hadn't even considered steel strings.

    Thanks for the information on the spacing.

    I like your instrument, that's getting bookmarked for reference!


    .

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Hilo, Hawaii
    Posts
    11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Huna View Post
    The other thing that bothered me about the guitarlele is the distance between the strings is not as much on a guitarlele as a uke. I sent the yamaha back as I wanted to focus on the Uke.



    Thank you, it seems the strings are the biggest problem... I thought I would only be changing the box size; I'm really glad I found this site.


    I don't blame you for focusing on your ukulele, it seems like a little practice goes a long way on the uke.

    .

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •