Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Guitarlele

Default Guitarlele

Aloha, I have a luthier friend who made me a very nice tenor uke (It's a hybrid between the largest dimensions of a Martin, and a Kamaka, and gets many compliments on it's sound.); so, I paid him $900 down on a $1700 guitar before I lost my job.

Now, he's agreed to make me a guitarlele/6 string ukelele for the $900 I paid him; but, he's never made one before, and wants me to get the dimensions for the instrument I want.

So... I was researching plans for a guitarlele and found this site.
    Does anybody here have input on what size a guitarlele should be?
    I've seen a few different kinds; which size, and/or kind of guitarlele would the readers of this forum recommend?

Mahalo nui loa for your time.

sort of obviously something like the Yamaha I think. I guess Cordoba and others are also making them so that means basically a Tenor Uke with two lower strings.
    Love playing ukulele

Default of course if you wanted it to be real

of course if you wanted it to be even more of a Guitar lele, then maybe a baritone with two more strings but then its a mini guitar and not really a uke in my opinion.
    Love playing ukulele

Are we talking steel string or nylon?

The nearest thing I've ever built is this steel - string soprano guitar with a cookie tin body..
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dylPs_2qq0E

Scale length was 14" with a set of .009 gauge strings.

To make it a bit more roomy for chord playing, I made the neck slightly wider at the nut - it was the same width as the third fret on a regular guitar.

The other thing that bothered me about the guitarlele is the distance between the strings is not as much on a guitarlele as a uke. I sent the yamaha back as I wanted to focus on the Uke.
    Love playing ukulele

Quote Originally Posted by Huna View Post
    sort of obviously something like the Yamaha I think. I guess Cordoba and others are also making them so that means basically a Tenor Uke with two lower strings.

Thank you, we had settled on the basic tenor, or super tenor body, with a baritone neck, I've found dimensions for everything except the depth... I think he already knows how he plans on setting up the strings, and the nut for ukulele, and guitar style stringing.

I guess all I really need is the depth of the box; but, I'm pretty sure some guitarleles sound better than others, and want to use the dimensions from the best one.

I realize everybody probably wont agree on the best one, or the best dimensions; but, I'm very interested in what luthiers, and uke players have to say about guitarleles... what I don't know about them would fill volumes.

Quote Originally Posted by aloysiousaloha View Post
    Thank you, we had settled on the basic tenor, or super tenor body, with a baritone neck, I've found dimensions for everything except the depth... I think he already knows how he plans on setting up the strings, and the nut for ukulele, and guitar style stringing.

I guess all I really need is the depth of the box; but, I'm pretty sure some guitarleles sound better than others, and want to use the dimensions from the best one.

I realize everybody probably wont agree on the best one, or the best dimensions; but, I'm very interested in what luthiers, and uke players have to say about guitarleles... what I don't know about them would fill volumes.

Would anybody consider making the body a little bigger than what is available on the market?

of course if you wanted it to be even more of a Guitar lele, then maybe a baritone with two more strings but then its a mini guitar and not really a uke in my opinion.

I don't want to go much larger than a tenor; becase, I want to be able to travel, and camp with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob-C View Post
    Are we talking steel string or nylon?

The nearest thing I've ever built is this steel - string soprano guitar with a cookie tin body..
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dylPs_2qq0E

Scale length was 14" with a set of .009 gauge strings.

To make it a bit more roomy for chord playing, I made the neck slightly wider at the nut - it was the same width as the third fret on a regular guitar.

I hadn't even considered steel strings.

Thanks for the information on the spacing.

I like your instrument, that's getting bookmarked for reference!

The other thing that bothered me about the guitarlele is the distance between the strings is not as much on a guitarlele as a uke. I sent the yamaha back as I wanted to focus on the Uke.

Thank you, it seems the strings are the biggest problem... I thought I would only be changing the box size; I'm really glad I found this site.

I don't blame you for focusing on your ukulele, it seems like a little practice goes a long way on the uke.

Thread Information