Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beginner Having Trouble With Chords

Default Beginner Having Trouble With Chords

I received my Lanikai LU-21 Soprano Ukulele yesterday and was eager to start playing it. After trying and failing at the guitar, I figured a ukulele would be easier and fun to try. I tuned it up gCEA with my new Lanikai electronic tuner. I tried my first song (Row, Row, Row Your Boat) with the C and G7 chords and I just can't do the G7. Can you tell me what fingers to put on which strings/frets for the G7? I keep trying and trying to do it but I have trouble especially with putting my fingers on the 1st and 3rd strings on the same fret I believe. This is my first song to try and I don't want to get disappointed already. I tried the C chord but I just don't know if it sounds right. With an instrument that hasn't been played much, do the strings sound off? Do you press down the strings all the way? Maybe I am pressing the strings too hard. Thanks!

pointer finger in the first fret -my middle finger on the C string (the third string) -my ring finger on the bottom string.

I feel like that sounds confusing so I took a picture...

ALSO:
    This site with variations on fingerings has been a godsend to me!!! Sometimes my fingers just don't stretch in the right way to reach notes.

http://www.ezfolk.com/uke/chords/G_Major/G7/g7.html

Good luck! Don't be discouraged!
    Last edited by Starby; 03-20-2011 at 10:42 AM. Reason: edited to flip the picture!

First of all, don't get discouraged yet! You have only had the uke one day! If you get frustrated put it down and walk away its supposed to be fun after all!

The strings will take time to 'settle in' as we say, in other words keep tuning it over and over, The reason so many of us delay changing strings is because the stretch and get out of tune sometimes before you can finish playing row row row your boat! This is so even for experienced players so keep tuning and keep strumming the more you play and the more they settle after a bit (depending on how much you play) you Lanikai should stay tuned..

Press down on the strings, if your fingers are turning white you are pressing to hard. Also press close to the frets but not on them does that make sense.. give yourself time it takes practice!

Have fun!

Many tutorials on YouTube, many of which originated from this site or it's members. I recommend Uncle Rod's Ukulele Boot Camp. Check out his site, it's second from the top of the menu to the right side of the page.

http://www.4shared.com/u/heU_nJuZ/ro...igmailcom.html
    Soooooo many ukes, sooooooo little time

Soprano: Pre-war Martin "O"; 81-82 Kamaka White Label; Grizzly kit;
    Concert: Pono MCD-E; Kala Reso-burst; Rally banjo; Bruce Wei Acacia teardrop; KPK acacia Cutaway; Mele Solid Mahogany 6 string; Ohana CM35-8 Taropatch; Goldtone Metal Resouke;
    Epiphone LP vintage burst; Asmus solid maple/spruce; Alida Jazz electric
    Tenor: Risa semi-hollowbody electric (red one); Mele Koa; Kala solid mahogany A/E cutaway

Bass: Oscar Schmidt Curley Maple;

When tuning gCEA, that does mean low G for the top string (4), correct?

Quote Originally Posted by Starby View Post
    I feel like that sounds confusing so I took a picture...
    Well that picture confused me! Are you right-handed?

OP, have a look at this:
    http://ukuleleunderground.com/2008/1...-chord-shapes/ at 0:45. The Uke Minutes series is a great place for tips once you start to get the basics down.
    Dreaming about UWC . . .
    dktoller youtube

Try to just place your fingers on the chords but not strum first. Then practice changeing between chords without strumming. Then practice the strmming by itself without holding down the chords. And the last step is to put the two together. If that made sense.
    Ukulele is more than just a hobby. Its a way of life.

I think I may have the 4th string tuned wrong. Regarding tuning gCEA, do I tune the 4th string a high or low g? Maybe that's why Row, Row, Row Your Boat doesn't sound right lol

Quote Originally Posted by dktoller View Post
    Well that picture confused me! Are you right-handed?

OP, have a look at this:
    http://ukuleleunderground.com/2008/1...-chord-shapes/ at 0:45. The Uke Minutes series is a great place for tips once you start to get the basics down.
    OH! Sorry! PhotoBooth (on the Macbook) flips the picture... it's like looking in a mirror. I just switched it in my first post! Thanks for catching that. haha I don't know if it is any less confusing when flipped the right way though.

Quote Originally Posted by jtt041017 View Post
    I think I may have the 4th string tuned wrong. Regarding tuning gCEA, do I tune the 4th string a high or low g? Maybe that's why Row, Row, Row Your Boat doesn't sound right lol
    It doesn't matter which G your ukulele is tuned to. The chord should still sound correct.

Thread Information