Thanks Music Guy Mic!

martin000

Reaction score
Aloha from Honolulu,

My wife and I are here for our 25th and I was connected to Music Guy Mic from a nice guy on the umgf forum.

Mic set me with up with Chris who was super nice and helped me find an affordable tenor ukulele with some great features. I had been planning to buy a baritone but after playing ukes at Island Music (thanks Neal!), I liked that high G sound and went to a tenor uke.

Chris had a nice Kala KAEM Exotic Mahogany that sounded great. I was sold on this tenor uke for the money and the nice resonance....little longer fretboard for my fat fingers. I asked Chris if he had one with a pickup....and he did! Someone cancelled an order on his last one (they are selling quick) and it was pulled out of the box that was ready to ship.

Loved it! Pickup WITH tuner and super Crazy Uke case. And better yet, Chris gave me a smoking deal including some case candy like a strap button and strap! I am ready!

Been playing this uke on the beach all day and have the sunburn to prove it (and suntan lotion on the uke!)

Nice guys! Nice buy! Got to pick it up in Kaneohe at the shop with my wife in a convertible!

It doesn't get any better than this!

martin000

Aloha Martin,
Glad you're having a great time here and congratulations on your 25th anniversery and your new Kala ukulele....Welcome to the UU and our forums ....You picked the right time for you vacation...the weather
is picture card perfect now...one of the reasons everyone comes back to Hawaii for a vacation...I hope you return more often too..have a great time and enjoy..Happy Strummings...MM Stan

Thanks for sharing your story! I don't think you could write it up any better!

Congrats on all counts ~
UP

MGM= One fine brudda

First off....happy Anniversry!!!!! MGM is great. Glad Hawaii was all you hoped it to be, can't get any better than buying a new uke in Hawaii and playing it on the beach!!!
Congratulations!!!!! :smileybounce:

Congratulations on your 25th and on the new uke.

Hope you can make it back in mid July for the 41st Annual Ukulele Festival at
Kapiolani Park. Several UUers plan to attend annually and there are always
the local UUers, of course!

Besides playing on the beach... try busking on the sidewalks of Waikiki. Just
don't block the pedestrian walk way and you should be OK.

keep uke'in',

Congratulations for everything!

I'd like details of what's going on at MGM's shop. What's it like?
Congrats and Happy 25th.

Mikes shop looks like his videos. Its really small and cramped with stuff. He does have storerooms outside of the shop he basically has his office where the high end ukes are on the walls and the other ukes are in boxes on racks where the boys work on set up and shipping.

Happy 25th!

Thanks everyone! It was a great trip! The Crazy Uke case fit in the overhead compartment on Hawaiian Airlines. It is so easy to take anywhere and play.

I was just practicing chords on Waikiki beach and putting some chord shapes together and it is funny how much people like it. It has a sweet sound and lots of tone.

Chris gave me a low G to try later and see if I like the sound of it. I'm working my way through the major chord shapes and dominant sevenths....with a few minors here and there.....but there are certain chords that just sound like a ukulele and some that don't....

Mic's shop was not too hard to find (after my wife called him and I got lost!) but it was one busy place. There was a workroom and shipping area and a room full of high-end ukes (Collings/Martin/KoAloha). I was trying to get into the Kamaka uke factory but I went too late in the day....oh well! another time!

There were a lot of ukes being played EVERYWHERE.....you could make a living playing uke there!

Blessings,

martin000

wow!

I'm scheduled to go to a conference in Honolulu from 5/14-5/18/11, and I was thinking about the possibility of buying a tenor uke myself! Not exactly sure how to go about this, though... :p If anyone has any advice, I'm all ears!

Unfortunately, MGM had to close down his business due to serious health issues. We're all hoping that he's back on his feet and feeling better soon. However, there are many outlets for purchasing high quality instruments on your trip. I am sure that some of the Forum members who have either live or are familiar with the Hawaii market can help you out.

Top Bottom