WTB good soprano

But if you are also looking in a higher price point, you should also consider a Kiwaya KTS4. And don't forget a vintage: Favilla, Gretsch, can be had in the $250-300 range and they are superb players.

I have one of the Kiwayas and it is an amazingly good instrument. I have owned custom instruments that didn't play/sound nearly as good. I also agree that Favillas are a great bargain, often called the poor man's Martin. They are great players a very reasonable prices. There is SO much out there to choose from. Lots of good stuff.

Look at the Handmade Soprano ( Blue Frog ) Solid Poplar with Spruce Top that VicD listed here as being put up on eBay today. There's also a video link, and the sound is really sweet!

Bidding starts at $80, with a $100 buy it now.

I'd go for it, but I am NOT suicidal, and my wife WOULD kill me if I bought another uke right now...

-Kurt
I did but I thought the neck looked a bit wide for my taste. It is a sweet little uke though and someone is going to get a great deal.

Thank you everyone for all those suggestions. I guess what I was thinking to begin with was to get a "K" brand that someone was tired of or just was taking up space. I have my KoAloha concert and love the sound and neck it has. After everything I have heard, the soprano market for ukes is very diverse and competitive in sound so I guess I will not have to spend as much as I originally thought. I am going to call mike at uke republic to talk about the sailor uke. I was very impressed witht he sound and extremely pleased with the emphasis on the thin neck. That is one of my favorite qualities of the KoAloha. Am also watching some auctions on ebay I may jump on in the KoAloha market. Ah! Decisions, decisions. Thank you all for your help and I will certainly let you all know when I fire the round down range! Thanks, rem

If you can find a used KoAloha soprano, one that's about 10 years old, you stand a very good chance of walking away with an extremely nice instrument for a very low price. My Y2K uke originally sold for $365; however, if I were to buy one with the same specs today, it would probably cost close to 3x's as much. All solid koa body, neck, and fret board. Good quality friction tuners. The volume, tone, and sustain of my uke is off the charts. New ones are awesome, but my old one never fails to wow me.

--Dave E.

Top Bottom