NorCal 'uke fest RETURNS! 03 April 2011

IamRobbyah

Reaction score
Forgive me if its already been posted, but next Sunday, 04.03.11, the 17th annual uke celebration is taking place at Chabot College, from 10 - 5.

http://www.ukulelefestivalnorcal.org/

A very unrelated topic: Being held across the bridge is a $2 car show with all proceeds to go towards Japanese relief efforts. I only include this because I plan on going to both and it'd be cool to keep the jams flowin!

Link: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=505850 (best link I could find).

Eh Robb, howzit goin? After last year's cancellation, I didn't think it was gonna be brought back and didn't bother to check the website. I would have ordered in advance, oh well, $10 ticket. I'm planning to go and hopefully nothing comes up between now and next weekend.

Northern California Ukulele Festival, Sunday April 3

The 17th Annual Northern California 'Ukulele Festival takes place this Sunday, April 3, from 10:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. in Hayward (East Bay). Highlights include a Kamaka booth in the vendors' area, a raffle for Hawaiian Airlines tickets, a Sonny D 'ukulele and a Kala 'ukulele, and day-long 10 minute 'ukulele and hula performances, including performances from Hiram Bell (3:50 - 4:00), the Ukulele Club of Monterey (2:30 - 2:40), the Royal Hawaiian Ukulele Band (2:45 - 2:55), and my 'ukulele class, the Kapalakiko Hawaiian Music Workshop Band (2:00 - 2:10).

More information: http://www.ukulelefestivalnorcal.org/

Was a very nice time!!! Much betta location than the adult school, I must say! Saw a few ppl I knew, but unko Kanaka, wea u stay?

Rob, I was there and left about 2 . . . posted this in da odda thread. Sorry, I missed ya. You goin to Napa this year? Elaine nevah post one date yet, but hopefully be around the same time frame like last year, early September.
The venue is a lot better than the previous years. The Performing Arts Center at Chabot College is an excellent facility to host this event. The vendor area can accommodate a large number. I wish there were more uke vendors as well as builders as the usual participants weren't in attendance. I think the notification time was minimal and vendors/builders didn't have time to respond. I was informed by one of the vendors that the Festival will be held at Chabot on April 1st 2012. Hopefully it'll draw the public attention from previous years. Looking forward to next year and hopefully catch some of the performances.

I think there were only 5 or 6 ukulele vendors and I wish I had brought a cam . . .
1) Stopped by Nalu and talked to Rick
2) Aloha Warehouse had some Pono and Ko'olau - played a Ko'olau tenor, all koa - plenty of volume and a very crisp, warm tone
2) Tony Graziano brought some beautiful instruments - the Rosewood/Redwood tenor had a very nice mellow tone and the Rosewood/Spruce top tenor, very loud and very warm
4) Of course had to stop by Kamaka - The ukes on display were for sale, that HF38 - OMG
5) Music Works - Kala, Ohana, Fluke, Mele and a whole bunch of books and accessories

Cherreh!!!

I may or may not go. We'll see, I hafta admit that last yr was a bit of a disappointed.

There was only the upper stage this last time. All the vendors were segregated into a spot that you had to pay to get into. Unfortunately the $$ crunch has worked its way into the uke world.

Seemed like they had trouble getting performers too. The year previous, there was plenny talent there.

I still have hope, we'll see how it starts looking as we near the date.

Yea, the 2nd one (1st one @ Berringer) was da best, entertainment wise. What did they charge to get into the vendor area? I hope it's mentioned in the flyers when they do get 'em posted. That kinda changes everything (for now). I guess, it's just wait and see what happens. Keep ya posted.

Top Bottom