Reprising the Fun Build for mendel

I thought I would be able to do some work and post some more pics today. I went for a walk on the beach this morning, came came across a beaver in the surf. Beavers are not marine mammals, and this guy was in trouble. With my wife, ignoring animals in distress is not an option, so 5 hours later, with a lot of help from friends, said beaver is in the hands of the North Coast Wildlife Rescue people and I am exhausted. I'll try to get some work done tomorrow.

Brad

That sounds like a more noble pursuit than working on a Sunday! Glad the beaver is alright! How did you go about rescuing it? I've heard they can be quite vicious! Nothing like that here in South Florida... We have otters with rabies instead.....

The bulk of the day was spent keeping curious people from scaring the beaver out into the surf, while we assembled the rescue team. The rescue itself was hairy, we waited until a big wave knocked him up on the sand and receded, leaving the beaver 40' from the water. A quick sprint allowed us to get one net and then another net on him and drag him into a dog crate. I don't think of them as vicious, but he naturally tried to defend himself and they chew down trees.

Brad

Great work with both the beaver AND the ukulele, Brad!

Here are some progress pics.

Brad

Attachments

• rm3 005.jpg
    rm3 005.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 109
  • rm3 001.jpg
    rm3 001.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 94
  • rm3 006.jpg
    rm3 006.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 103
  • rm3 008.jpg
    rm3 008.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 98
Fantastic! I just love these, and that one is... well fantastic lol...

I am thrilled with this Uke. I cant wait for Brad to post a sound sample. Its always a treat to hear him play an instrument that he built from scratch and sing a tune......

Thank you mendel, the was a thread a while back that laid into those of us that sing while doing a sound sample. Unfortunately, I do not play any instrumental songs all that well, so if I don't sing, things are a little flat.

Brad

That's the thing I like so much about Uke.... It doesn't matter what others think. Willie Nelson said it best when he said "It's not about how well you sing, it's about how much the singing means to you. Song isn't what's beautiful, expression is". Forget about what others think and have fun. That's what this whole thing is about, after all.

Had a rare chance to take some pics in the sun. Here is the neck and peghead.

Brad

Attachments

• rm4 005.jpg
    rm4 005.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 93
  • rm4 004.jpg
    rm4 004.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 92
  • rm4 002.jpg
    rm4 002.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 96
The latest photos made me chuckle... the kind of chuckle when you see something you really really like. Much goodness in this uke.

And I love the way the grain from each piece in the body flows the same way as the adjoining pieces... I bet this uke will sound awesome.

Last edited:
That made me laugh. Actually, the original fun build sounded so good and unique, it opened my eyes to some of the possibilities. While walking my dog on the beach today, I found a pallet with one quartersawn board of mystery wood. I tried, but I couldn't get it apart wothout splitting the wood.

Brad

Top Bottom