Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Reprising the Fun Build for mendel

pretty cool to be able to watch your uke being built.

It is an awesome experience. That was a major reason that I feel so happy to have Bradford build the Uke for me. He is so great about documenting the process and posting pics that I will really get the opportunity to learn about the instrument as it is being built. Also, Bradford knows not only how to build the instrument, but he is always willing to explain why certain things are done in the process.
    Have a Happy Day, and remember- Take the time to play!!!!

Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/richm2778

Custom Donaldson Concert Uke
    "Hugs & Kisses" Model 1.0
    "Na-ni"

Lanikai Lu-21C
    "Cousin Larry"

Charango of unknown origins by way of Trujillo, Peru.
    "Lolita"

Between Bordeaux & the Atlantic. S.W.France

Looks very striking so far Bradford. Did you not think of using myrtle for the rosette in the koa and vice versa? Seems like the obvious choice to me.

Thanks Dave, that would have been an idea, but I did not have any koa or myrtle veneers and I did have these others, so I grabbed what was handy. Also, in the vein of the Fun Build, I'm throwing in a number of woods.

Brad

And here is the back. Lets see, I've got a couple of O's and an X, maybe there is a theme here. The start of the Hugs and Kisses uke.

Brad
    Attached Images Attached Images

I love it!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bradford View Post
    And here is the back. Lets see, I've got a couple of O's and an X, maybe there is a theme here. The start of the Hugs and Kisses uke.

Brad
    That is one cool looking Uke!!!
    Astrid/Unknown Brand || Lilo/Ohana SK10S || Rhea/Luna Tattoo Pineapple || Hoa/Koa Pili Koko || Hope/Tanglewood TU1 CE || Kupuna/Eleuke Rosewood 100 Series || Joy/Poiple Flea || Cora/Clearwater Vita

Joey @ 4 Ukulele - My Ukulele Journey Blog || The Rocking Dodars || Bug Books: Joey Paul Online || "Like" me on FaceBook

Perfect name Bradford!!! It reflects what I am fortunate enough to say my life has become with my beautiful family. Every time I play, I can think about the people I love and be even happier!!!! That Uke has a sweet caboose!!! I love the back!!!

What ideas are you kicking around for the neck and fretboard and headstock??? This looks incredible!!!!
    Last edited by mendel; 03-30-2011 at 02:26 PM.

"Na-ni"

Lanikai Lu-21C
    "Cousin Larry"

"Lolita"

Hey mendel, as you approve of the concept, I will continue with the theme. The peghead, fretboard, bridge and end graft all offer potential sites, probably in the form of abalone or wood inlays. Here are some pics of some more materials, the sides are koa, maple bindings with b/w/b purflings, the piece of Macassar ebony would make a good fretboard and bridge. Some notes on the design; mendel and I have sent many emails back and forth prior to this point. We selected a combination of koa and myrtle, and he stated a preference for an offset soundhole. I thought the second smaller soundhole would add some interest. The four piece back was a concept that I presented to him and he liked. I am very pleased the way it looks in person. I have read many of the threads that mendel has started on UU, so with that, and our emails, I think I have a pretty good idea of what is most important to him, his family, so the Hugs and Kisses theme was a natural. By moving the soundholes up and to the side, you increase the area of the soundboard that vibrates, so I'm hoping for a strong voice. I am now considering how I will brace things.
    Brad
    Attached Images Attached Images

I exchanged a few emails with Bradford this afternoon. He has some incredible ideas for this build. The guy has the vision of an artist and the craftsmanship skills of a master craftsman. I can't wait until the next pics are posted. The ideas he has made me flip!!!!

"Na-ni"

Lanikai Lu-21C
    "Cousin Larry"

"Lolita"

Thread Information